KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My Nieces daughter is 4 years old and was a premie. The doctors

My Niece's daughter is 4 years old and was a premie. The doctors told her that she was retarded as she experienced a stroke during birth; however, she has proven the doctors wrong. My niece just had another child on 7/4/2012 and the 4 year old loves her brother,
but she had begun acting up even before she knew a little brother was on the way. The little girl does things without thinking and her Mom and Dad are punishing her in time-out, but it doesn't do any good,. Yesterday, she made the remark to her Mommie "you yell at me all the time and I will just go live with Krista (minister's wife) and Tori (minister's daughter), but they moved to Oklahoma City. They punish her by taking things away, but it doesn't make any difference in her attitude. My Niece just called and is about to lose it. WHAT IN GOD'S NAME CAN BE DONE FOR THIS FAMILY? I am her Aunt, but we live in Lake Tansi, TN and we were just there last week. We are elderly and it would be costly and hard on us to make another trip both physically and financially. HELP

Doctor Rao : Hi are you online
Doctor Rao : Hello
Doctor Rao : It must be difficult for seems like a complex situation.if possible I would like to answer in a Live chat mode. If not I will provide answer based on the information given. Thank you

yes I am

It is not uncommon for children who are significantly premature to have behavior problems as they get older. This is likely due to delayed brain development, but can also be due to having been through the trauma of beginning life in the NICU. Instead of starting out being held, living in a quiet environment, with a minimal amount of physical discomfort, the preemie is held much less, is surrounded by noise, and is subjected to painful medical treatments. They have no words to express their distress and no understanding of what's happening to them. What may be helpful to you great niece is if the parents can take a step back to an earlier phase of her development. To spend some time everyday holding her, perhaps wrapped in a blanket, being sung or read to. Rocking in rhythm to the parents heartbeat is soothing as is a pillow or CD with heartbeat rhythms. Doing this helps with maturing the brain as well as increasing the little girls feeling of being loved and accepted. This is based on the work of Dr. XXXXX XXXXX who specializes in working with traumatized children.

I hope this is helpful.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.