Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

isnt 16 and 18 old enough to hear the truth, and why does he

isnt 16 and 18 old enough to hear the truth, and why does he keep sayin g "their just kids"
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Yes I agree that 16 and 18 years old is generally old enough to be able to handle the truth, and after a certain point it can do more harm than good to continue to avoid the truth. It sounds like things may already be at that point. At 16 and 18 they are basically young adults, and while he may still think of them as "just kids," and has always seen them as kids, it would most likely be more beneficial for them if he were to start treating them like young adults and be honest with them about the situation. Perhaps when they were younger it was in their best interest to keep them out of it, but at this point I would be wondering at what point are they going to be clued into the matter. At the least that seems like a question you deserve an answer to.