Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

can i drink alcohol when i stopped taking my antidepressants

can i drink alcohol when i stopped taking my antidepressants a few days ago?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Pearl.com !
I will like to ask you a few queries so as to gain a bit of more insight into the problem and then i shall provide you with an answer.
1) kindly mention the name of the anti depressant drug which you were taking earlier?
2) Also please do tell me the number of days that have passed since you stopped the drug ?
3) are you now completely symptom free ?
4) i hope you are not using alcohol as an escape to counter your underlying depression in the absence of an anti depressant ?
I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Regards..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
effexor and neurotin
I took trazedone last night.2) Also please do tell me the number of days that have passed since you stopped the drug ?
5 days ago, trazedone last night3) are you now completely symptom free ?
so far, I think so4) i hope you are not using alcohol as an escape to counter your underlying depression in the absence of an anti depressant ?
no
Thanks for the reply..
Unfortunately ideally you should refrain from drinkig alcohol since last night only you took trazodone which is supposed to be very much active in your system by now and it may interact with alcohol and cause excess of CNS ( central nervous system )/ brain depression leading to cloudiness of consciousness, stupor and fainting attacks.
Besides this the effexor which you have stopped 5 days ago , has still to be washed out of your system as it takes atleast 10-14 days for this drug to wash out from the system after stopping it completely for it to not to react adversely with alcohol..
So basically what i am trying to imply here is that the anti depressants which you were on are still very much present in your system and so may react adversely with alcohol, thus making you loose consciousness or even trigger tremors, so since there is a risk attached here , so you shall wait for atleast 2 weeks after stopping all the anti depressants and then you may drink alcohol and that too in limited quantity.That is my honest and humble opinion.
I hope this helps..
Wish you all the best..
Please kindly leave a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.
If you have any remaining doubt/ query please feel free to use reply button to ask it.
Regards..
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry