How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a compulsion that i am mentally aware of, it comes in

This answer was rated:

i have a compulsion that i am mentally aware of, it comes in waves, i may have it for a month then it will stop for a month. i am inclined to move certain parts of my body in a certain way, it is controllable but a constant annoyance? what mnay this be and what help can i get?
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that you may be suffering from Tourette's Syndrome (or perhaps another similar disorder in the tic spectrum).

Tourettes is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder which usually begins in childhood. It is characterized by several physical tics and at least one vocal tic. If there are no vocal tics as well then it would be called Chronic Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder. These motor tics usually come and go and can be temporarily suppressed. Often they are preceded by an urge.

Here is a short video (with a badly recorded musical accompaniment) that illustrates some of the Tourrette and Tic movements in older children.

If this looks familiar then you will have an idea that this is corroborated. You can seek treatment if it causes you discomfort, embarrassment, or interferes with your life. Otherwise, understand that it can come and go, and may be assocated with other stresses or other disorders, which you did not seem to indicate.

You may be interested in looking at Tourette's treatment, if you think you have it, at this website:

If this is what you have, then do not worry about it getting worse or you deteriorating. It might even stop completely on its own. In any case, I wish you well.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi elliot, many thanks for your reply. i have been reading a little about ocd and it appears as if the techniques described to overcome this apply to myself but it is a physical movement or a tic as you have described. it is something i have grown to live with and control, i was just more curious that at times when it gets worse if there was some sort of medication. it becomes mental torture sometimes. if i wanted to talk in person to a professional what kind of a doctor or specialist should i look for?

Dear Matthew,

If you are considering medications, then the best person to see would be a psychiatrist. Tourette's and tic disorders falls under the rubric of mental health, and a psychiatrist would be the one to give you the diagnosis and medication. A psychiatrist, is of course, an MD.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Related Mental Health Questions