Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am suffering from chronic pain...neuropathy, arthritis, and

I am suffering from chronic pain...neuropathy, arthritis, and trauma related broken bones (from head to toe) and I'm bipolar. I have been on Symbyax, and percoset for 3 years. My children raised a fuss on the percoset because I WAS a recovering alcoholic of 6 years...now I've started to drink again...I wanted to see if drinking would 1) make me feel fun again and 2) help reduce pain 3) help me sleep. It's not working and now it's hard to give up the booze again. I switched back to my dr. that has known me 30 years...she originally put me o Cymbalta and tramadol. So that's what I'm on right now...Cymbalta and tramadol. I don't get any relief from tramadol and I don't know about the Cymbalta yet. I am trying light therapy and some gentle yoga. I just want a life again...Lover of Life, that's what I've always been. I smoke medical marijuana...substitute for drinking, I suppose. I'm losing out...my lack of concentration is evident...my grandchildren, my significant other, my kiddos, and all who know me are concerned. I am trying light therapy and gentle yoga...and meditation music.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well for chronic neuropathic pain and arthritis and trauma , you have been rightly put on cymbalta since it is one anti depressant drug which other than relieving depression finds immense use in treating condition as yours and so is the right choice , in fact it should have been the first choice anyways stick to it.

Now i have some important addition/ s that i will like to suggest for your chronic neuropathic pain and arithritis plus also for maintenance of your underlying bipolar disorder ,but before i do so i will like you to tell me what dose of cymbalta are you taking as of now because it is essential to take standard / optimal doses for the drug to act effectively on your symptoms..So kindly mention the dose of cymbalta ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my query .

Regards..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am taking 30mg of Cymbalta.

Thanks for the input..

Well you see cymbalta at 30 mg dose is a good ploy to start this drug on but for effective control over your present symptoms , you will ahve to ask your dcotor to raise the dose of this drug to the optimal and effective dose of 60 mg/ day , to be taken as a 0nce a day dose at night after dinner..

Besides this i am mentioning below some other drugs which are used effectively for managing chronic neuropathic pain and these include..

1) Pregabalin at dose of 75-150 mg in two divided doses to be used for neuropathy.

2) Methylcobalamin at dose of 750 mg / day

Pregabalin ( 75/150 )+ methylcobalamin ( 750 ) combination is available in the pharamacy..

3) Lamictal ( lamotrigine ) at dose of 50-150 mg to be added as a mood stabilizer for your depression and bipolar symptoms ...

So the revised regime will be as follows..

1) cymbalta at dose of 60 mg / day

2) tramadol as it is.

3) pregabalin+ methylcobalamin combination.

4) Lamictal at dose of 50-150 mg / day

This drug regime should be discussed with your doctor and get started on , you should be observing and feeling imporovement in your symptoms within 1-2 weeks of starting on this new revised drug regime..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry