How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

RA - 130

This answer was rated:

I suffer from pan in my back which passes to the roof of my mouth and sometimes my breasts. It is most odd. I have had emotional and mental illness for most of my life and wonder if these symptoms are due to me mental problems. I have written before but lost my keypad (I am using an I pad) apologies.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about this physical pain you have been experiencing. The first step to take whenever we experience pain that remains, is to make sure there is no medical problem associated to it, and for that we need to consult with our primary care physicians for a direct evaluation.

Now, responding your question, many mental health conditions could cause physical pain, from stress to depression and anxiety. Body, mind and emotions are all interconnected thus whatever impac

ts our psycho-emotional experiences, does also affect our physical bodies.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Some people who happen to be more sensitive could "somatize", or express in their bodies, emotional and mental states, and for this the person does not need to be aware of how this happens, in fact most times this

occurs from an unconscious levels, our bodies just react to our experiences through physical - physiological symptoms, including pain.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?


JACUSTOMER-spl8d4vq- : Not really.
Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you tell me more about your feelings and thought

s about it?

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Rafael was on the right track when he said that you somatised your disorder.

Let me try to be a bit more specific and explain this to you so that it is clear in your mind, exactly what is going on with you.

For hundreds of years it has been recognized that physical symptoms can sometimes have emotional origins. These are put under the general heading of Somatoform Disorders. An extreme case may be the man who walks in on his wife while she is with another man, and soon after, the man goes blind. Sometimes other stressors or problems of day-to-day living can cause various symptoms or pains. Sometimes this condition can be associated with other forms of mental illness which add to the burden of stress.

Yours appears to be a more simple somatoform disorder, assuming that there are no physical causes for your pain. It is called Pain Disorder (and sometimes called psychogenic pain), which is pain that is either caused by or increased by, or prolonged by emotional or mental elements, such as rejection, grief, or other elements of the heart or emotional factors. It can sometimes occur in people with mental disorders as well. It can also occur when we hold back our emotions, such as anger or guilt.

The pain might not cause tissue damage, but it is real, just as real as if there were damage to the various parts where the pain is felt.

In this disorder the pain is often felt in the lower back, head, pelvis and temperomandibular joint (where upper jaw attaches to skull near the upper palate), but can strike in other areas as well. It is more prevalent in women than in men, but can strike both.

There are a variety of treatments for this disorder including psychotherapy, antidepressants, painkillers, and other remedies used for chronic pain.

This is a real disorder and should not be minimalised or marginalised by your physician. Rather it should be address professionally, as it is a legitimate disorder which causes you great distress, and must be tended to.

I wish you great success in getting the hands-on help that you very much need and deserve.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Elliot.i. I have decided to go back to my doctor. I do not wish to receive any moreHelp from you. Please. Do not contact me again . should have been addressed to Elliott