Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Lamictal for 19 years old daughter - after 4 depressions?

Customer Question

Hi! My 19 years old daughters medical doctor consider starting up with Lamictal because of depressions last 4 years in connection with start up of high school. Any experience with this medicine?

She had epilepsy in the age of 6-9 years old. She was taken off the drug at around 9 years old and have had noe more attacks. Around 14/15 years old she got migraine and got medicine for that when she got an attack. Last 2 years she has not had any attacks.

Any precautions reagarding the start up / use of this drug in the beginning?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, this lamictal ( lamotrigine ) is basically used both as an anti epileptic drug as well as a mood stabilzier used in managing depression , so i will agree and support your doctor's choice of this drug as it will cater to both depression as well as prevent any epileptic episode relapse.

Dr. Kaushik :

However , what is important regarding this drug is that it is to be started at low dose of around 100 mg / day preferrably in two divided doses of 50 mg each taken twice a day thus making the total dose / day = 100 mg .

Dr. Kaushik :

And further if there is any need to up the dose it is to be done by increasing dose by 50 mg ewvery week to a maximum effective dose of 250-300 mg / day in two divided doses..

Dr. Kaushik :

Other than this i do not think there is any need to worry about this drug which is a safe drug to begin on.. and more importantly it will manage your daughter's both conditions -- depression as well as prevention of epilepsy..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps ..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish your daughter all the best. Please do discuss the strategy of starting this drug as i have mentioned above with her doctor so as to provide her the safest and most effective way to deal with her condition. Also for complete recovery from depression there is need for your daughter to complete full coiurse of this drug which ranges between 6-8 months ..

Dr. Kaushik :

If you have any remaining query/ doubt please feel free to ask by using the reply button.

If you have no other query and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a Positive rating so that i can be credited for my service.

Regards..

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.