Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I am on 10 mg of Lexapro and I asked my Doc to prescribe my

I am on 10 mg of Lexapro and I asked my Doc to prescribe my Cymbalta to try that...what's the best way to switch so I don't have withdrawl symptoms? Can I take them together for like a week or so?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

It is not recommended to take both Cymbalta and Lexapro together as both of them when taken together can increase serotonin neurotransmitter levels and there is a risk of serotonin syndrome which although is rare is a life threatening syndrome.

The best way to switch over from Lexapro to Cymbalta is to first taper down Lexapro and then start Cymbalta. Your doctor can guide you accordingly in this.

Just for an example, you can start tapering Lexapro by reducing the dose to 5 mg, take it for 4-5 days followed by discontinuation. After stopping Lexapro, you can start taking Cymbalta starting from a low dose of 20 mg per day and gradually increasing as needed.

Please discuss with your doctor about this strategy. It should help in minimizing any withdrawal symptoms if any due to stopping of Lexapro.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any related query.

Kind regards

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.