Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I currently suffer from GAD/panic disorder. The only medications

Customer Question

I currently suffer from GAD/panic disorder. The only medications that have worked were Paxil and Effexor and now I'm on Remeron 15mg. The Effexor stopped working and I was put on 1mg clonazepam. I eventually want to come off the clonazepam but want to find a proper AD. Is Remeron a good medication for my condition (GAD/panic)? It's also helping with sleep which I like.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Yes, Remeron (Mirtazapine) is an effective medicine for your condition. It boost both serotonin and noradrenaline neurotransmitter just like Effexor although the mechanism of action is different.

Paxil (Paroxetine) also work on serotonin neurotransmitter and Remeron also boost serotonin neurotransmitter.

You are noticing improvement in sleep which is a good sign and it appears to me that Remeron has started working in your case. The daily dose range is from 15 -45 mg per day and after some time your doctor can consider the option of increasing the dose further to 30 mg per day (after 1-2 weeks of starting Remeron). Most patients report on 30 mg per day.

Regards

Vikas

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.