Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

My 5 year old daughter drew a picture of hearts that says I

Customer Question

My 5 year old daughter drew a picture of hearts that says I love you daddy along with cotton balls of her blood. Should I be concerned that she's emotionally disturbed? I've inquired and it seems that her response was she basically wanted to use her blood as paint and show her dad she had a boo boo. I'm worried about her, and wondering what I can do to help her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting Just Answer,

I would like to help but need more information. How did she put blood on the cotton ball? Does her Daddy live with you both? Who else is in the househols? Has she done anything else like this in the past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daddy lives in another home, we are not together. She has a little baby brother just turned a year, and a step sister who is 9 at her dads home. She picked a scab on her knee and it bleed, so she got a cotton ball to stop the bleeding. Apparently from there she decided to make this part of her art.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The baby is with me and 9 year old with her father and step mom. It seemed confusing in my response. Hope this clarifies the dynamics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't done anything like this before.
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information,

Since your daughter did not purposefully cause herself to bleed, I would not worry. Drawing the picture with hearts to Daddy is certainly normal in this situation. If she had pricked her skin with a sharp object to purposely get blood...that would be a different story and I would recommend child therapy immediately. But using the cotton ball to stop bleeding and then putting it on her picture as part of her art does not seem worrisome to me.

Warm regards,