Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I deal with a high pressure job for example managing month-end

I deal with a high pressure job for example managing month-end close for a 26 billion dollar company while at the same time dealing with depression and anexity maybe as a result of the stress. How to I cope with this?
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Do you have any medical condition?
What have you tried to reduce work stress so far?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am on medication for Depression and Anxiety. I like to read and that helps with the stress. I used to watch old westerns but currently I do not see as many good shows on as there was before. The complexity of the job in conjunction with my depression and anxiety compounds things where I have just a stressful job. Or maybe the depression and anxiety makes it harder for me to deal with the job. Not sure.

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like you have a high pressure job that may be causing or contributing to depression and anxiety you have.
You are on medication for depression and anxiety.
Are these medication helping you?
Have you had a physical check-up by your primary care doctor lately?
I think you may need to try other stress reduction and relaxation weekly. Yoga, acupuncture, meditation, Shiatsu, and massage therapy may be helpful to relax your body and mind and reduce the intensity of anxiety and depression.

Also, as you already know, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help reduce stress.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.

I also think Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) may be helpful to manage work stress.

First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your feelings of sadness and anxiety.

If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist/psychologist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression and anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression and anxiety, a number of medications are available to treat depression and anxiety.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.

Please let me know if you have more questions even after you get this answer. Warm regards,

Hi there

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,