Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years

My husband has just been put on lithium and I am confused.

My husband has just been put on lithium and I am confused. I have no support system and an soo confused with what he is going through. He is very dramatic as soon as the simplest thing goes wrong he hates his life he tells me it is too hard to have a family etc. It really hurts to hear someone say that. Is that his mental illness and will it stop when he is treated correctly. I have a small child he is not violent or anything but I have her welbeing to think of and I am not sure what to do.

Hello, I am a Marriage and Family Therapist and have been practicing psychotherapy for 20 years. Since you husband has been prescribed Lithium, he likely has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder. Lithium is used to treat the Manic Episodes of Bi-Polar Disorder, which has been manifesting in his drama and anger. Bi-PD is caused by an imbalance in brain chemistry and is very effectively treated with medication. As long as your husband continues to take his Lithium your home environment should be more calm and emotionally healthy for your young child. I know you are feeling confused and a bit frightened, but I would support your husband as long as he is wanting to get better and taking his meds. Bi-Polar Disorder is not a character flaw, but a mental health disorder. Here is a link where you will find comprehensive information about Bi-PD that will help you understand. I hope this information helps. Chat back if you have any futher questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me positively and click on submit. I wish you, your husband an child all the best, XXXXX XXXXX Eleanor