Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

how do I wean myself off celexa?

Customer Question

how do I wean myself off celexa?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Welcome !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well you see weaning off celexa is to be done very slowly and systematically under the guidance of a doctor , since faster withdrawal than what is recommended can lead to a cluster of distressing and excessively uncomfortable side effects called as ssri withdrawal syndrome or ssri discontinuation syndrome ( celexa is an ssri class anti depressant ).

Dr. Kaushik :

So i will like to help you to have a safe weaning process of celexa , but before i tell how strategically it has to be done, i will like to know the dose of celexa that you are currently taking.

Dr. Kaushik :

So this chat is in progress, i will get back to you once you reply to my query.

Regards..

Customer:

I am taking 20 mg @ day, and have been for 6 years. I am very sensitive to medications.

Dr. Kaushik :

ok.. thanks for the input..

Here below is the strategy that is used often by experienced clinical psychiatrists to wean off celexa..

You have metioned that you have started weaning the celexa by taking it every alternate day , well that is too early to carry out at such a dose of 20 mg / day.

So the better and safe method to do the weaning of celexa at 20 mg /day is as mentioned below..

1) First come down to 10 mg / day dose and take it for 1 week .

2) Then further reduce the dose to 5 mg dose ( either 1 full 5 mg tablet or 1/2 of 10 mg tablet ) to be taken for 1 week.

3) Then start taking the 5 mg dose every alternate day for 10 days .

4) Then start taking 5 mg dose once in every 3rd day for 10 days and then finally stop the drug completely..

So this will take roughly 1 month for you to come off this drug but this is the right and safe way to do it so as to prevent any untoward and extremely distressing SSRI withdrawal side effects which are common to occur if one comes off the drug too quickly thereby not allowing enough time for the body to adjust to the drug's declining quantity in the system leading to complete absence.

Dr. Kaushik :

Kindly discuss this with your doctor and carry out the withdrawal.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive Rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am almost off celexa with absolutely no problems, thanks to you. I cannot thank you enough. I tried to quit on my own without success. I had night sweats, nervousness, and hardly any sleep. If I have anymore medical questions, I certainly will contact you again. Thank You Very Much!!!

Thanks for the comments...

We at Just answer always strive to help our customers.

You are most welcome next time.

Regards..