Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I can not focus, or think clearly. when im at work its like

I can not focus, or think clearly. when im at work its like im not here. i have no motivation to do anything at all. i never feel good, and my anxiety is so bad it makes me sick or feel like a blockage on my breathing. Its like im not me anymore and i dont know how to become me again. where do i start

Dr. Rossi :

Does this happen only when you're at work?

Dr. Rossi :

How long has it been going on and do you find your work stressful?

Dr. Rossi :

When you mention not feeling good is this also to do w/ work or in general?

Dr. Rossi :

Not sure if you're still online so I will go ahead and give you some suggestions until you reply back. If you attribute your mood/anxiety level primarily to your work environment, you may want to use your EAP (employee assistance benefits) through your job. That would allow you to get some free counseling. Depression and anxiety often occur together.

Dr. Rossi :

Medication would be helpful to correct your brain chemistry. Your GP may prescribe meds or a psychiatrist

Dr. Rossi :

You may benefit from the medication because you're mentioning that you don't have any motivation.

Customer:

No it happens all the time..and i cant focus at work. its like i dont care about anything at all. i do care, but i have no motivation at all for anything

Dr. Rossi :

That could be your first step and then contact the EAP counselor if you choose to.

Dr. Rossi :

Is the lack of concentration something that also occurs when you're not stressed/depressed (like ADD?) or only when you feel emotionally drained and anxious?

Dr. Rossi :

There are some natural options besides medication depending on what symptoms are to be addressed. For example, Piracetam 800 is a supplement that can be obtained w/o a RX

Dr. Rossi :

It is used for concentration and memory improvement

Customer:

the lack of concentration is all the time, it gets worse when im stressed, but i can never finish anything i start, and its really affecting my job

Dr. Rossi :

Have you ever used medication or have been diagnosed w. ADD?

Dr. Rossi :

The reason I'm asking is that it could be adult ADD. But, depression and anxiety can also affect your concentration level.

Customer:

my doctor a few years ago put me on cymbolta for depression, but i dont feel that it did anything at all so i stopped taking it

Dr. Rossi :

How long were you taking it for?

Customer:

about 6 months

Dr. Rossi :

There are different medications. It's possible that the dosage was not agreeing with you or that you could of benefited from a different class medication.

Customer:

what kind of doctor should i go to, a psychiatrists, or a regular doctor ?

Dr. Rossi :

The cymbalta is an SNRI and you could try SSI class meds. The thing w/ SNRI is that it affects norepenephine and that is a chemical associated w/ the flight or fight response.

Dr. Rossi :

You'd want to see a psychiatrist because a GP may not be as knowledgeable about all of the different medications and reactions to psychotropic meds.

Dr. Rossi :

Once the correct medication/dosage is being used, you would notice difference in your anxiety and mood and possibly concentration as well.

Customer:

okay, so going to a psychiatrists would be the best thing. i think if i dont get help, its going to cost me my job, bc when im here i cant even focus on it for a minute at a time, and its like i have a brain fog where i just stare into "space" for a long time and i cant do anything at all..

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, a psychiatrist is the best choice. You could always see a counselor along with that just to talk and find out better coping mechanisms and just to unload things that are stressful or upsetting at work.

Dr. Rossi :

You could also research the Piracetam 800 as it can be helpful. I used to get mine from amazon.com or lef.org

Dr. Rossi :

Supplementing with Omega fatty acids and a B vitamin complex is another helpful thing. All affect the brain in a positive way.

Customer:

and the piracetam 800 really helps with concentration and thinking clearly. thankyou for the advice i will try those and see if that helps at all

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, it does. It's been researched quite a bit.

Customer:

can i only get it online, or can it be bought at the store

Dr. Rossi :

You could find it in a health store if they carry it. I have gotten mine online as I like to buy from lef.og (they've got good quality products)

Customer:

okay, thankyou, i just wanted a perscpective on what i tell them i want to go in for , im just bad at explaining how i feel mostt he time. thankyou for your time

Dr. Rossi :

You welcome. You're explaining well. You may want to write down some of your symptoms when you go to the MD. Things like your mood, sleep/appetite issues, heart rate, lack of motivation, concentration problems, etc.

Dr. Rossi :

A psychiatrist will know how to ask the right questions.