KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

i feel that my depression will never lift, and antidepressants no longer have effect. the

i feel that my depression will never lift, and antidepressants no longer have effect. the depression is now mostly rooted in crippling regrets. i frequently feel that ending my life is the only option as i cannot bear the thought of living like this indefinately.
I also suffer from depression and understand the misery it can bring. If antidepressants aren't working for you, that leaves no choice but to try to cope with your symptoms. There is a kind of therapy that has been effective for those who suffer ongoing depression and suicidal thoughts. It was originally developed for people with borderline personality disorder but is now used with people with other chronic mental health issues. The treatment is called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). The best option would be to find a therapist who is trained in DBT but if there isn't anyone in your area, there are workbooks that could help you. Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression & Anxiety by Thomas Marra or Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, & Distress Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) By Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. XXXXX, XXXXX Brantley

Both are available on Amazon for less than $15.

This technique requires time and effort to be effective, but it can be very helpful.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

I know how painful this can feel for you. Without knowing all that you have tried, I will make some suggestions and give some thoughts while of course lending my support to you. I am glad you have reached out here and that shows that there is part of you that wants to go on and feel better and you deserve that. Medications can be hit or miss and they may stop having the desired effect so it is crucial that you meet with your psychiatrist in order to change, increase the dose and find the right one that works and as soon as you feel it not working any longer that you reach out to the Psychiatrist so you are not left out there alone.

Are you currently in therapy? I believe you would do quite well to have that supportive person who can listen and help you process it all and work through these regrets that you have that feel are crippling for you. Often having a safe place to go through it all may ease the burden that you feel that is impacting your depression.

Please go easy on yourself too as depression can be very debilitating and I can hear how you are taking it on and may be feeling like it is all your fault. It is not.

Please send me back your thoughts. I am here to listen and support and if you need help locating any professional I will help with that too. I also want to say that if thoughts of wanting to end your life exist then I would advocate for emergency care. You are important and worth it and deserve to feel better.

I look forward to hearing back from you.