Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

im 30 years old and have ocd , i have recently become obcessed with being a serial killer. i know that i could never hurt anyone and have never had a violent thought ever. yet i still worry about it. would it be safe to assume that i would know if i had it in me to kill someone? do serial killers know long before they kill what they are? as i know wrong and i would never even think to kill someone am i correct that this is not gonna change in the future ?

To help me prepare an answer for you, can you tell me please what treatment, if any, have you had for your OCD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cbt and medication

I think, essentially, that you have to have continued CBT to finally resolve this.

You say that you have become obsessed with the idea of being a serial killer. Yet you say that you cannot contemplate violence against anyone.

Frankly, I do not think that you have the slightest think to worry about.

Serial killers, in general, display a psychopathic disregard for others throughout their development. They are often bullies or controilling, and tend to have repeated episodes of harming animals or people younger or weaker than themselves.

They are usually male and do not function well socially, or be able to hold down a job and support themselves.

Initially, their destructive urges are focussed on animals, birds and so on, and their first forays into killing humans do not necessarily indicate a serial followup. However,in most cases, the satidfaction they gain from their 'first kill' may lead them on to more frequent (and usually well planned) killings,happening at an ever decreasing frequency.

More often than not they are (despite their lack of social skills), arrogan t and have a feeling of superiority, which is the most common cause of their undoing.

From everything you say, you do not seem to fit that profile. Howver you DO need to deal with these fears in therapy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i know that i could never kill anyone for a fact , am i right in thinking that this wont ever change? i think killing someone is sick and would never want too. my brain is not gonna change in the future?