TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My mother passed away 15 days ago.I took care of her the last

My mother passed away 15 days ago.I took care of her the last 5yrs of her life , holding her hand when she passed.Iloved my mom very much,her funeral was very sad,every one cried and is still crying.I have not shed one tear.I take paxil,is that why?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It could be that you are on too high of a dose of Paxil and may need it adjusted. Check with your doctor about how you feel just to be sure.

But more likely is that you spent a lot of time caring for your mother during her last years. Being a caregiver can take a bigger toll on people than they may realize.

If you have been a caregiver, then you may be experiencing burnout even if you feel you do not have any symptoms. Caretaker burnout can include feeling tired, experiencing every day as the same, feeling that everything seems dull and feeling you have nothing left to give. You may be anxious, depressed or angry. Or you may also be so worn out that you don't feel anything at all, which is what you may be experiencing. You have been giving so much that you have nothing left to give.

This does not mean that you do not care for your mother. It only means that you have cared so much and given so much that you cannot express your feelings right now. You may also have done much of your mourning over her death even before she passed because you knew that she was at the ending of her life.

It may take some time before you are able to experience feelings about your mother's passing. You need time to recover from being a caregiver for so long. Give yourself time to enjoy things you did not get to experience while you were caring for your mom. And don't be hard on yourself. The feelings may come or you may have already dealt with them. If you do not feel any better within a few months however, consider talking to a therapist who specializes in grief. The therapist can help you process what you have been through and feel better about moving on with your life.

I hope this has helped you,