TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

My 3 yr. old granddaughter claims she saw a ghost in her mothers

My 3 yr. old granddaughter claims she saw a ghost in her mother's bed one late morning and was terrified and shaking. This lasted a long time. The sitter was there and was quite frightened herself based on the child's reaction and how long it took to calm her down. I thought she was watching too much Scooby Doo cartoons with the monsters that turn out to be people in costume. She loves this cartoon. Anyway after a few weeks her mother asked her to describe this ghost from a costume magazine and she pointed to a skeleton. This was out of character for her. Is it possible she really did see something? Her Mother thinks so. Even a pastor told me it was possible. That blows my mind.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

As kids develop and certainly around this age, they begin to develop fears such as these and they could believe they see monsters and ghosts.

CoachJenK :

This is also a time when nightmares could begin to develop around these same issues and something as simple as Mommy making a sign with her that reads....no monsters allowed or no ghosts allowed can go a long way.

CoachJenK :

Cartoons can do it but also as they socialize with others and they play they all begin to talk of monsters and ghosts.

CoachJenK :

it is quite common at this age to be experiencing this.

CoachJenK :

but if Mommy is very concrete such as giving the reassurance with her words and a simple sign to be hing up, it can help.

CoachJenK :

Fears of these things at this age are quite common.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I will share this information with her mother. She has been very supportive of the child's fear and has told the ghost to leave in her presence. The mother is on the right track. We will make a sign as well. You have been very helpful. But, really , can children see ghosts? I have heard of this, or once again is it their imagination?

CoachJenK :

In some cultures and religions there is a belief in ghosts...do I believe it? No I don't, but if your daughter believes it then she could be contributing to the ongoing fear. I would give the reassurance that there are no ghosts, she is safe.

CoachJenK :

I believe it is more a product of her age and what is normal at this age then her seeing a ghost.

CoachJenK :

my kids run around the house saying there is a monster chasing me and they run and hide

CoachJenK :

and I say "no monsters allowed" they rely on me and the feel ok.

Customer:

Thank you once again. I appreciate everything you have told me and I am inclined to believe what you say because you are the expert. My pastor did tell me to do some research and now I have. I don't believe in ghosts either.

CoachJenK :

I am so glad to be of help. It is my pleasure. Come to me anytime. Please take a moment to click on the rating tab to offer a rating of my work. My goal has been excellent.