TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

Im struggling and cant find a way out, how do I get myself

I'm struggling and can't find a way out, how do I get myself back to my old self?

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

I am glad you have reached out.

CoachJenK :

When you say you get knocked down...tell me more about that.

CoachJenK :

Hi

CoachJenK :

Are you still being treated for the depression?

Customer: It's mostly at work, I've been trying to establish myself for a few years now and I've just run out of steam, that couple with troubles at home, I feel like I'm being pulled in 6 different directions at once and I don't have an answer for any of them.
Customer: I'm not being treated no
CoachJenK :

and all of that can feel quite burdensome and then it feeds on itself causing you to feel more despair and hopeless. But because you mention depression in your history it sounds to me as if things feel difficult like this as there could be a return of symptoms...that can be good news because it means that you can get help for it and have these weights lifted a bit.

CoachJenK :

what was your treatment in the past?

Customer: Excuse the spelling but I was on fluoxitine?
CoachJenK :

and was it helpful?

Customer: I think that's what it was called
CoachJenK :

yes fluoxetine

CoachJenK :

and you using the words

cant find a way out indicates to me that this is the depression and if we can get you back on a regimen of medication and maybe therapy then your ability to handle the stress will be better.

CoachJenK :

Are you open to going back for treatment? I think it will be very beneficial as you deserve to feel freer.

Customer: Yes it got me out of a hole, but I've prided myself over the past few years with managing to cope on my own, having to go back on it is like admitting that I've failed, my sister died 3 years ago which rocked me, my parents have since split up, I recently found out my dad has been having an affair with my auntie for years, and only a couple of months ago my granda died who I was really close with,
Customer: At times I'm in disbelief at how poorly things have turned out.
CoachJenK :

you are not a failure in anyway and even if you need some medication that does not make you a failure and nor does it mean you are not handling things...in fact it means the opposite...it means you are able to see what you need and go after it....that is pride.

CoachJenK :

you have had so much to deal with and none of it easy!

CoachJenK :

it is overwhelming and I am sorry for all of your losses....just having one of those things happen is enough to knock someone down. Go easy on yourself...you have had so much.

CoachJenK :

getting some support for all of these things can go a long way for you...you are still strong by doing so.

Customer: Ive recently been having problems with my heart rate, it's very irregular and a tightness in my chest I don't know if this is related, I'm seeing my doctor next week, I could mention my mental health as well and see if medication is a way forward?
CoachJenK :

if i had listed all of those tragic events as having happened to me, you would be able to feel for me and want me to get all the support I need to get through it....so give that gift to yourself.

CoachJenK :

those feelings could be related

to anxiety but I am thrilled you are seeing your doctor so you can discuss that and your emotional life.

CoachJenK :

I know you can feel better and want that for you.

CoachJenK :

I am here to support you along the way.

CoachJenK :

tightness in the chest and feeling now way out are symptoms of depression and anxiety and how could you not feel those things....you have been through so much. Please please discuss all of this with your doctor.

CoachJenK :

and in addition to medication you may consider some therapy so you have the ongoing support.

Customer: Thankyou, your very kind, I still don't know how to tackle my work problems,I've thought about leaving, but want to get on top of things before I do so, basically no mater how hard I try I'm told weekly that it's not good enough, my self esteem is at zero
CoachJenK :

yes and

I would try and get the depression and anxiety looked at first before any big decisions are made as the stress and self confidence being low are all part of it making work feel so difficult.

CoachJenK :

If the job is not for you and you need to pursue another passion then you will.

CoachJenK :

if you feel like its adding to the depression then making a change would be for the better.

Customer: There have been times when I've thought of suicide, I've never told anyone that before, but at times it seems like the only option
CoachJenK :

you are worth it and so is your life.

CoachJenK :

I am so sorry to hear that and if that is the case I want you to get emergency care for yourself and not wait to see a doctor.

CoachJenK :

the depression is strong now and we need to get that taken care of.

Customer: I don't think I would, but it's when I'm at my lowest and feel lost these thoughts come into my head.
CoachJenK :

I am glad to hear that reassurance. And those feelings at those times come up because you cant see a way out. But I know that your symptoms can get relief once you feel okay about getting the help. You have already taken the first step by coming here and speaking with me.

CoachJenK :

that is strength!

Customer: Thank you!
CoachJenK :

its true...I dont speak fluff.

CoachJenK :

can you call your doctor today to be seen sooner?

Customer: I've got an appiontment on Tuesday, it's almost the weekend, I'm going to be ok until then, I don't think I can get an earlier appointment,
CoachJenK :

ok. If you feel like things are getting worse before then please get emergency care.

Customer: Ok
Customer: Thank you for your help, I know what I need to do, it's just trying to believe that it can happen.
CoachJenK :

I truly believe you an and will feel better with support.

CoachJenK :

It is my pleasure to support you. You can come to me anytime. It is hard to believe when things feel tough, so rely on my belief if you can

Customer: I'm going to head now, thankyou again for your help, just speaking to someone is a help.
CoachJenK :

i am glad. Please take a moment to click on the rating tab to offer a rating of my work...my goal is excellent

Customer: Excellent it is!
CoachJenK :

thank you for taking care of that for me.