Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

What are some ways of reconciling depressive nostalgia?

Hi there
THank you for writing in here.
It sounds like you may have depression.
Let me ask you a few questions first:
When did this start?
When did you give birth to a baby?
What do you often remember?
I"ll craft my answer and get back to you in an hour.
Warm regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This first began a few weeks ago. I had my child 8 weeks ago. At first I was weepy and easily saddened. I began to make sure I got out of the house every day, and I keepthe blinds open so I get sun. I have also started yoga, running, and I meet with a moms group every week. But, I have been bothered by memories that seem to make me sad. Often, I remember my life growing up in Atlanta ( we live outside there now), the places I would go as a teenager, and even places I would go as a very young child. I remember the home were we lived before age 5. Memories of family gatherings, music, especially from the early 80's. There is not one particular memory. The years from 3 to 18 seem to be what bother me the most. I know I miss my hometown, and wish I were there. When I go into town, though, I feel very lonely because I know those times are gone. Is this a midlife and depression thing? It's cloying, whatever it is.

Thank you!

Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
You seem to have mild postpartum depression as you gave birth to your child eight weeks ago and you are still young to have midlife crisis (generally around age 45-60).
You are nostalgic about your past - your life of age 3-18 in Atlanta.
It sounds like you are missing your original home and family life.
You stated you feel very lonely now.
Perhaps, post partum depression may be contributing to or causing your current feelings.
It's very common that women have mild to moderate post partum depression.
You must be missing your life, family, friends and all memories in Atlanta.
I don't think it's a mid-life crisis.
But, you are definitely in a new phase of life.
Yoga, exercise and weekly mom's group are all good to your mind and body.
You may benefit from seeing a counselor/psychotherapist to express and process all your feelings associated with your current life of being mom and past life in Atlanta etc..

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to relax your mind and improve your mood.

I understand you don't want to take anti-depressant.
You may try counseling/therapy first to see if you feel better.
You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly or biweekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression or post-partum depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. All the best,