psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

My dad wants to leave my mum. My mum is drinking whisky and

My dad wants to leave my mum. My mum is drinking whisky and taking pills because she can't cope, and won't let him leave... my dad has just been released from hospital with heart complications from stress.
I don't know what to do.??? (I am an adult that lives abroad).

If you have found that both of them need help then your option is to try to engage them in their own process. Offer to find a therapist or even a home health worker in the States so that they can see there is help available. If you are too remote to do so you have to empower them to find this help. Make regular calls to encourage them to ask for help. Enlist your dad in admitting to his part in enabling such a relationship possibly through the AlAnon process. He may find that his being a part of this is actually supporting negative behavior. He has to want to leave and carry this out. But he may have to be educated on a codependent relationship and that is often by asking for help for his part. When he learns he doesn't have to support a toxic relationship he will find a way to leave.

Be back tomorrow