TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

My mother died six months ago and I still cry about it every

My mother died six months ago and I still cry about it every day. I am so depressed, I miss her so much and it's hard to cope. My father died three years ago, so I feel orphaned. Mostly, though, I keep thinking about how my mother suffered before she died. She had cancer, and she suffered a lot- it is so painful to think about. I was seeing a psychatrist, but I didn't "click" with her so I stopped. Should I be taking medication, or will therapy help?

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

I am sorry for your losses and for your pain. there is no time frame for the grief you feel. The loss of a parent at any age can be so tough and as you say you are left with the feelings and memories associated with her being sick.

CoachJenK :

I do believe getting some support can be very beneficial and sometimes it takes some time to find the right one with whom you click.

CoachJenK :

Once you are in with the right person and you feel comfortable to open up and express yourself then it can be evaluated as to whether you could benefit from medication.

CoachJenK :

Right now the most important thing is to get you the support so that you can express your grief and keep the fond and wonderful memories of your mom with you and not be burdened by the pain of her suffering.

CoachJenK :

I will wait for you to come online so we can chat.

Customer:

I think you are offline now, but I would like to chat with you. When will you be online?

CoachJenK :

I am here now.

CoachJenK :

I am here for the next few hours...so if you respond give me a few minutes to respond...just know I am here and available until about 9:30pm EST tonight.

Customer:

Hi Jen, I am on line

CoachJenK :

Hi there. we did it! We have connected.

CoachJenK :

tell me some of your thoughts from what i wrote earlier.

Customer:

Hi Jen, thanks for chatting with me! I do need to see someone, I'm trying to find someone who is approved my my insurance. So far, I have found people who just prescribe meds, but I also need therapy.

Customer:

You are right that there is no timetable on grief. My mother died of cancer, but I think it was lonliness, because my dad died three years ago and she was just devastated.

CoachJenK :

yes I agre as that support will go a long way. Who is your insurance provi

der and where are you located?

Customer:

I am in maryland, the dc area, and I have united health care.

CoachJenK :

yes and it has left you feeling sad with a huge void. it will take time and the pain will lessen and you will be able to remember her with love in your heart and for the loving times you shared.

Customer:

I hope so. I miss her so much. She was my world, and always was... I don't have a lot of extended family, so my immediate family was really everything. I lost my brother, also, in 1986 when he was 27. I have had a lot of heartache in my life.

CoachJenK :

I am so sorry. i hear it and i know they are in heaven looking down and caring for you

CoachJenK :

I see you went offline. Can i support you further?

Hi Nanci,
Let me know how you are doing and if i can help you in any way. I can also try and locate someone for you to see. Either way, I am here if you need.