KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

My husband is going to court to see if her can get more visitation

My husband is going to court to see if her can get more visitation time with his kids. Is there a professional (besides just an attorney) who can give us advice on what the best scheudle is for his boys? We don't want to propose something and have the judge think we are not looking out for the best interest. We tried mediation and the ex wife is very uncooperative and will not even listen to our suggestions. We really want to try and do the best for the boys, while allowing them to still have time with their dad

KansasTherapist :

Hello

KansasTherapist :

There are mental health professionals who are experienced in helping families with visitation plans.

KansasTherapist :

You can ask your lawyer if he or she knows of someone who does these assessments.

KansasTherapist :

You can also look in the phone book to find someone who works with divorced parents or divorce issues.

Customer:

what goes into determing the best thing for the situation? what type of assessment?

KansasTherapist :

Talking with the parents and the kids, and experience in what works for kids and families.

Customer:

my husband is very concerned about exposing the boys to something like that. Is there any way around that?

KansasTherapist :

You can ask the professional if they insist on talking with the kids.

Customer:

ok...do you have any opinion or advice from what I've told you so far?

KansasTherapist :

From what you say, it seems like the step mom is the problem. I would say your ex needs to deal with her to create a more reasonable atmosphere.

KansasTherapist :

Should kids switch back and forth every few days. I would say for some consistency, to go a week at a time.

Customer:

yes, we thought of that, but we thought that the boys were already used to a Tuesday and Thursday night at our house, why not just make it overnights?

KansasTherapist :

I would definitely have they overnight on from Tues to Thurs.

Customer:

do you mean including wednesdays too?

KansasTherapist :

Yes, less moving back and forth is better in my opinion.

Customer:

ok, thanks for the advice

KansasTherapist :

Your very welcome. I hope things get better.

Customer:

thank you