KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

I have a nine year old son that was diagonosed last year with

I have a nine year old son that was diagonosed last year with PDD and ADHD. He was lacking with his reading skills but with a lot of work he is now reading mid second grader level. He sometimes doesnt use his present and past tense correctly. And now I've notice that he is lacking the confidence of doing math. And his writing abilities if asked to tell a story he can't put down on paper but has such an awesome imagination. He's a smart boy but how can I get his creativity to come out? I feel like if I had a key to unlock his mind I know that he would successful. What are some ways I can help him?

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : It is likely he needs to express himself in a different way other than writing, at least to start with.
KansasTherapist : Many children think in pictures.
Customer: When he's required to do this in class and sometimes with homework I don't know what he could do that they will accept. Is there any good books that you can recommend I could read?
KansasTherapist : You can have him tell his stories with drawings. Then, or if it works he could tell the story out loud.
KansasTherapist : I'm guessing he has an IEP?
Customer: I could ask his teacher if that would be ok. Any books you can recommend?
KansasTherapist : Nothing comes to mind but I could do some research and get back to you.
KansasTherapist : I could switch to Q&A mode and get back to you in about 20 minutes.
Customer: Sounds good...
Games for Writing: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Learn to Write by Peggy Kaye

Writing Skills Activities for Special Children by Darlene Mannix

Building Thinking Skills- Critical Thinking skills for reading, writing, math, science (Level 1(Grades 2-3) by Sandra Parks and Howard Black

These are all available on Amazon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the recommendation. Have a good night..
You're very welcome.