Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

My ex boyfriend and I have a 3 year old son together. We split

My ex boyfriend and I have a 3 year old son together. We split up late last year and he has found someone new that he says he has been dating for the last couple of months. He has introduced her to our son and he says that they have not been intimate in front of him and that he just sees her as 'daddy's friend'. What implications could this have for our son? I've heard that he should only have gone into a new relationship a year after we split.
I think the first thing is that there are no hard and fast rules about this, no matter what you have heard. All of us are different, and therefor we react differently to the situations we find ourselves in. So a year, or a few months is neither here nor there.

From what you have said, it seems to me that he is acting really responsibly, and provided that he continues to do so, I do not think that you have any reason to fear for your son's welfare.

Now, of course, I do not know precisely what he means by being intimate in front of him, whether that means no display of mutual affection or more. What IS significant that he is aware and concerned about what that might mean for your son. Please just make sure that youkeep communication between you as open and as blame free as possible.

That way, if you do begin to have concerns and state what they are, they are more likely to be taken on board.