Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

"FOR KATE McCOY ONLY" If Xanax isnt working anymore, what

"FOR KATE McCOY ONLY"

If Xanax isn't working anymore, what antidepressant do you strongly recommend that will probably work in that kind of situation? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting my help.

Medications are helpful to ease symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication.

If you are taking Xanax and it is no longer working, you may need to talk with your doctor about increasing your dose. That may make the medication more effective. However, if you are at the maximum dosage and you do not feel the Xanax is effective, there are other anti depressants that you can try. Here is a list of the most commonly used antidepressants:

Paxil- is an SSRI (selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor)

Lexapro- Also an SSRI

Prozac- a very commonly used medication. It has been around since 1986 so it is well tested and effective.

Celexa- another SSRI

Zoloft- and older medication that is very commonly prescribed and well tolerated by others.

Finding a medication that works is often a matter of trying different medications until you find one that works for you. As is often the case, finding a medication that does not have side effects worse than the original symptoms can be difficult. Talk to your doctor about your medical history and what medication might work best for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since some prescriptions cause side effects that defeat the purpose and others can cause addiction, is there one that you recommend that is "PERFECTLY SAFE"?

There is no medication that is perfectly safe. There are too many variables that go into how a medication works in the body. There is your health, your body chemistry and the interaction between them and the medication. Also, the medication strength and the diagnosis you are taking it for affects how many side effects you experience or if you do not experience any (of any significance).

However, if you are concerned about the mediation having adverse effects, you may want to try an older medication. The older medications have been tested longer and have shown they work for most people. Of the medications above, Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac have, in my experience, been the most prescribed.

Also, ask your doctor to start with the lowest dose possible to help you see what side effects you may experience. It is easier to deal with the side effects if you are on a lower dose.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My doctor prescribed me Lexapro. What do you say about that one? Thank you.

Are you interested in more information about the medication itself or are you asking my opinion?

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Asking for your opinion.

Lexapro is an SSRI. It is also called Escitalopram. It is used for anxiety and depression. It seems to work well for most people, though it would depend very much on your own body chemistry and health issues whether it would work for you. Your doctor probably prescribed it based on your medical history and may have felt it was worth trying.

In my experience, it seems this medication works well. Of course everyone has a different experience but as far as I can tell, this medication is worth trying out to see if it works for you.

Kate

If you're satisfied with my response, please rate me highly. Thanks!
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because I was still getting too much dizziness, headaches, and anxiety, my doctor changed my prescription from Lexapro to Buspar. What is your opinion about Buspar? Is Buspar an antidepressant? Thank you.

Buspar is known as one of the most effective medications for anxiety and it also can be used for OCD. It is not used for depression. It is popular because it tends to work for most people and it well tolerated.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By OCD, you mean obsessive compulsive disorder, right? So, Buspar is not officially considered an antidepressant, correct?

Yes, I meant obsessive compulsive disorder, sorry about that. No, Buspar is not typically used as an anti depressant. It does have many uses however, including to help alcoholics, and help general nervousness.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My doctor prescibed me to take 5 mg of Buspar twice a day for a total of 10 mg daily. I have tried taking the pills at the following time combinations:

8 pm and 8 am

2 am and 5 pm

3:15 am and 5 pm

4:15 am and 5 pm

8 am and 1 pm

8am and 1:30 pm

8 am and 2 pm

but I still from time to time get the side effects of dizziness and/or headaches during working hours. (8 am to 5 pm) Is there a schedule combination that you would recommend where I will not experience the side effects during working hours, but if I must experience the side effects for it to be when I am at home or in bed? One time I was very drowsy too when I drove home from work.

What time do you typically have to be at work? And at what time do you really want your medication to be most effective?

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to be typically at work from 8 am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm. But I don't want to feel any of the side effects from about 9:15 am thru 4:30 pm.

Depending on how long you have been taking Buspar, it can take up to several weeks to get used to the medication and for the side effects to go away. And you do not want to take your medication doses so far apart that you lose effectiveness in your body. That will bring your symptoms back. You need to keep a consistent dose in your body for the medication to be able to keep your symptoms away. And your work schedule covers too much of the day to go without a dose of medication in your system.

What you may want to do is to check with your doctor about additional supplements and other medications you can take to offset the side effects. Here are some other ideas to help:

Make sure you eat before you take the medication. Anything with protein can help slow the absorption and make it easier on you. And eat consistently throughout the day. It can help keep your blood sugar levels up and offset some of the side effects.

Try talking to your doctor about taking supplements such as B vitamins and especially magnesium. They can improve symptoms like dizziness and headaches.

Consider taking an aspirin along with your medication to offset any headaches you might get. Check with your doctor first just to be sure you don't have any physical issues that might interfere with your ability to take aspirin.

Try relaxation techniques. They can help your headache and let you feel more focused, which might offset your dizziness. Here is a link to help you:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Ask your doctor about changing when you take your medication and if you can break up your doses into lower amounts until your body adjusts. You may be able to take less medication but more frequently. It may lessen your side effects.

It can be difficult to find how to take your medication when you first begin to use it. But as time goes on, the side effects will disappear and you will feel better.

Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, like peanut butter sandwiches to cover the protein and Gatorade to cover the magnesium and the substitute for Excedrin for the headache?

You can certainly try those things and see if they work for you. You can also try supplements for the B vitamins and other foods for the magnesium. What works for you is the best thing to do. So try different things until you find what works best.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist