Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

i have abused marijuana for the past 3 years. as of recently

i have abused marijuana for the past 3 years. as of recently i stopped as i felt it was affecting my ability to perform at work. its been 5 weeks but im still struggling with intrusive thoughts, poor concentration and a mild headache. although i am coping with these symptoms at the moment each day it is becoming more difficult to deal with, do you have any advice for me?
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions before I answer.
How often have you used marijuana before? Daily?
Do you have any medical condition?
How's your sleep and appetite lately?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i was using daily, at the beginning i was having up to 20 cones of marijuana a day (for the first year) but i managed to cut down to around 10. I have regained my appetite and my sleep pattern is good. what is worrying me is these headaches and my poor concentration, also intrusive thoughts are causing my alot of distress.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

also the only medical condition i have is asthma, i have had some difficulties with anxiety in the past

Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
So, you have used marijuana every day for a year or so. You cut down the amount of marijuana use later. You also have had asthma and some anxiety issues.
There is a possibility that marijuana use worsen anxiety and asthma that you have. A number of studies show that Marijuana may cause and worsen depression and anxiety in people. For example, take a look at the link -
Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression.
Recent study shows that marijuana use may cause cognitive decline (for example, see the link:

It's good you have regained your appetite and sleep pattern.
It may take a few months for you to feel better due to three-year marijuana abuse. You may need to do only good things to your mind and body.

A heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and relax your body.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.

Also, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your headaches, attention difficulty and feelings of anxiety.

If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to treat anxiety. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for anxiety.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any even after you read this answer.

All the best,