DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

I had been trapped in a car by a man when I was about 10yrs

Customer Question

I had been trapped in a car by a man when I was about 10yrs old and also innapropriately touched several times by my little league coach around the same time. I have only told my current therapist and my past girlfriend about this. I have been able to repress this for years at a time but when the memories come back this hits hard. I began judging my ability to be a man and stick up for myself. I continue to have ongoing irrational thoughts that cause me anxiety and depression. This has also caused my relationships with the women I have been with very difficult. I lost the most important person in the world to me (ex-girlfriend) due to sexual addiction issues while I was with her. How do these all relate and what is the most effective form of therapy for my issues ? I am currently on Wellburtin and Lamictal for my mood swings. The anxiety has recently returned and it is difficult for me to be others due to not trusting them and feelings that people want to get at me physically and use me for sexual gratification.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

You said that you are going to start EMDR this week, that was going to be my recommendation --that you see if you are a good candidate for EMDR. It is highly effective for addressing issues of trauma.

DrFee :

I am sorry that you have suffered this abuse, and yes, it really does affect people's relationship, sexuality, etc, even if they have been "burying" it for many years.

DrFee :

If you'd like to read about EMDR, this is the website for the International orgranization: www.emdr.com

DrFee :

One of the best things about it is that you do not have to get "lost," in the feelings, memories, images, etc. you only need to go there "to get the job done," and you maintain keen awareness of where you are now: an adult, not a child, safe, etc.

Customer:

Is there a high success rate with this type of treatment ? I guess I am asking if there is evidenced based outcomes ?

DrFee :

There is research supporting it's effectiveness. The therapy is relatively new, around 21 or 22 years old. One thing you need to be aware of, though, is that how long it takes depends on many variables surrounding the trauma. For someone who has no childhood history and it's a single incident trauma that occurred in adulthood (like say a severe car accident) it's really quick, for prolonged childhood abuse, it can be lengthy.

DrFee :

And the EMDR itself can kick up nightmares, flashbacks between sessions for some --so it's a good idea to talk to your therapist about how to handle that possibility. For others, this does not happen.

DrFee :

It's best to go in without expectations, for some people, they don't have vivid memories, but just feel reactions in their bodies.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice and be well.

DB

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.