Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Hello, My wife and I dont know what to do about our 5

My wife and I don't know what to do about our 5 year old son Devin. He can't sit still for a second. He is always jumping off chairs, climbing on tables, screams a lot whiles watching TV and very excitable.

One day my wife felt inclined to show him some sign language, and only after a couple of attempts, he begun to sign as well.

Everything which he engages in, for example, building blocks, drawing, writing is done with the highest of precision, and sometimes done to a level which is sometimes "creepy".

He is also very aware of any minuet changes to his environment. For example, if he previously arranged his building box in a particular order, and either my wife or I were to change their aliment, or their letter arrangement. He would IMMEDIATELY arrange those building blocks to their previous state, with every letter is their respective order without fail.

Furthermore, he draws with intricate detail, unlike most kids his age, and emphasize every fine details, as is, house with shingles, straight lines drawn free handed, garage door, and even three dimensional shapes.

However, his ability to speech is delayed, although, he would asking my wife and I in full sentence(s) when he wants something..example: "May I have something to drink please?", or "Mommy is going to work." ,and "I have to go to the bathroom."....but always reverts back to that incomprehensible "BABY TALK" which my wife and I can't understand.

He is also highly sensitive to loud sounds, easily excitable and covers his ears whiles watching cartoons, and cries for no good reasons.

On most occasions, he seem to have a mind of his own, and do not follow direction and would ignore my wife and I when spoken to.

Last week was his first day of Kindergarten and already, he was suspended for three days from class for pulling a girl's hair and hitting other kids. Also, his teacher informed us, that he is very disruptive in class, and does not pay attention or follows orders.

My wife and I are exhausted..."PLEASE" point us in the right direction to get help for DEVIN. Thanks. Steve Las Vegas, Nevada.
To helpme to help you, can you tell me what the pediatrician had to say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The pediatrician just referred my wife and I to a specialist and could confirm his condition. Also , I forgot to mention that at times, he repeats things I say to him. He is also, very affectionate and loves to hug everyone.

One cannot, of course diagnose safely at a distance, but Devin is displaying characteristics which suggest that he may be suffering from Asperger's syndrome.

Even if that is the case, there is no reason why he should not live a happy and productive life - he just migh need a little bit of extra help along the way.

His apparent hypreactivity, inability to socialize well with other children, over-sensitivity to sound, refusal to carry out intructions and use of language all point in that direction.

The most important thing you can do for him at the moment is to have him assessed by a pediatic psychiatrist as soon as possible so that you can get an early, accurate diagnosis, and also to educate yourselves as much as possible on the subject so that you will be well aware as to what to watch for.

I think you would find the information here really useful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much. I will view the link which you have provided me and seek medical attention as instructed.

Glad to help. Please remember to rate my answer.