DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

I am suffering from severe depression but I am not suicidal.

I am suffering from severe depression but I am not suicidal. I just want a whole new life. I want to leave the life I have and start a whole new life somewhere else. Where can I go for help immediately without going to a hospital?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

I'm sorry that you are feeling depressed, it can be so painful.

DrFee :

You said that your Psychologist is out of town, did he arrange for an "on-call" Psychologist that you can either call or see for a session or two?

DrFee :

That is what we are supposed to do when we (Psychologists) go out of town or are unavailable.

DrFee :

You said you want to go somewhere to get away from it all --but are not suicidal. Have you considered perhaps going somewhere for the weekend (or just a day) --change of scenery/change of pace?

DrFee :

I'll pause here and wait for your comments.....

DrFee :

I'm wondering if you're having some technical difficulty --I see you stepping in and out without commenting.

I'm sorry if that is indeed the case!

Customer:

My therapist said I could call his cell phone, but I know he's at a family wedding on the other side of the country and I really don't want to bother him. I don't want to get away for a weekend. I want to get away from my life.

DrFee :

I know that you want to get away from your life --the changing scenery was a suggestion for trying to help elevate your mood just for a little bit at this moment --

DrFee :

I wasn't implying that it was going to solve your problems.

DrFee :

Do you trust that your therapist can make up his own mind about what he's willing to offer? I understand that you don't want to bother him, but it's up to him to set his own boundaries. If he's willing to take a call from you this weekend, I'd encourage you to trust that he meant it.

DrFee :

It might be good for you to call him in spite of feeling uncomfortable about it.

Customer:

But I was hoping you could offer some suggestions

DrFee :

With depression, taking small behavioral steps are generally really important --the biggest one being "do something pleasurable"

DrFee :

My suggestion of going away maybe was too "big" a suggestion--going someplace of an hour might be a better start. Or engaging in something that you previously liked, enjoyed. Again, it doesn't change your life, but in this place that you're in you have to start with something small, and active.

DrFee :

I know that for many depressed people it's the last thing they want to do --but doing nothing will guarantee that you stay in the same spot emotionally.

Customer:

i don't see how i can find anything pleasurable if my whole life if falling apart. isn't there a way to find a help center or something where I could go and stay for awhile?

DrFee :

I wish there was such a thing --but hospitals tend to exist to "stabilize" people. There are retreat centers that people go to for relaxation, spiritual focus, etc (not mental health treatment). The idea of "going away" for treatment seems to be something that has disappeared ---such places did exist in the past.

DrFee :

You said exactly what depressed people do say --the struggle to engage in a pleasurable activity is a difficult one --but it's a necessary part of coping while you get treatment.

Customer:

well getting away from everything in my life right now would be the only pleasurable thing for me right now

Customer:

there's got to be somewhere i can go for help right now

DrFee :

You can go to a hospital or a residential treatment center.

Customer:

how do i find a treatment center?

Customer:

i don't want to go to a hospital

DrFee :

You can google "residential treatment center for depression" If you feel comfortable giving me your zip, I could search for you.

Customer:

my zip code is 16046

DrFee :

OK...just a minute

DrFee :

This one looks good "Brookhaven Retreat" (NNN) NNN-NNNN But I can't find their location --

DrFee :

"Great smoky mountains" I don't know where that is!

DrFee :

Everything I'm finding is far --- www.timerblineknolls.com is in the midwest

DrFee :

I see a place in arizona too

Customer:

that's not anywhere near me. i'm in pittsburgh pa

DrFee :

I know --I don't see anything near you

DrFee :

Philhaven is in Harrisburg, but that's probably too much like a hospital for you.

DrFee :

OK --I need to step out for about 30 minutes. I will keep looking when I return. If you cannot wait, please feel free to re-list, but I'm happy to keep looking for you.

DrFee :

Thanks for you patience. I'm looking again.

DrFee :

OK...I think I found something

DrFee :

OK --everything in your area seems to be drug/alcohol/addiction related. How far are you willing to travel?

DrFee :

Johnstown

DrFee :

I know that's not close, but it's all I can find.

DrFee :

That last link is directly to their website.

DrFee :

It doesn't look exactly like what you want either....

DrFee :

Heavy addictions focus....

DrFee :

What you are looking for -- those types of places are extremely rare and very hard to find. All I could find was the Brookhaven place and the place in Arizona. At least take a look at Philhaven ---

DrFee :

I'm sorry that it's so hard to find a place like that.

Customer:

thanks for looking anyway

DrFee :

You are welcome. I hope that you will call your therapist.

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your "accept." I appreciate your acknowledging my time in spite of the fact that I was unable to find you a place to go near where you live.

I hope that by now you have been able to re-connect with your therapist. Hang in there, I hope that therapy and medication will help you overcome depression and enjoy life.

Take good care,

Dr. Fee