TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have a friend who disclosed his sexual problems with me,

I have a friend who disclosed his sexual problems with me, I'm really not comfotable with this and feel angry that he thought he could tell me these issues he has been having. Its made me look at him as less of a man and a worrier! its really best for the professionals isn't it?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you feel uncomfortable with your friend discussing his sexual problems with you, then it is perfectly alright to say to him, "Hey, I want to be here for you but this is something you may want to share with a professional. Let me help you find someone." Then refer him to his doctor or he can search for a therapist on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/.

Getting your friend's problems out of your mind takes a bit more work. It is a matter of changing your thoughts. For example, when you think about what your friend said, tell yourself that the situation is in the past and change what you are thinking. You can substitute anything that you feel will keep your interest- food, work, things going on with family, etc. Do this each time the thoughts come back. Soon it will get easier to distract yourself.

Also, you may want to try conditioning. Keep a rubber band around your wrist. Each time the thoughts occur, snap the band (not too hard). It will help you associate the thoughts with pain and you will naturally try to avoid the thoughts.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate