psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

I have been unemployed for approx. 2 months now. I have posted

I have been unemployed for approx. 2 months now. I have posted my resume online to 5 different websites with no luck. I also applied to 30-40 jobs so far. I'm feeling like I'm a little useless right now. Things I enjoyed before, I don't show any interest right now. I think about being unemployed all the time. Am I worrying too much or just depressed? I just need that one chance that companies show an interest in me and are willing to give me a chance to show what I can do. Thanks

You may be both. One possibility is that your unemployment has decreased your ability to think of yourself as useful and this has led to stress. many times we define ourselves by our job or our profession. When those aren't present we become very despondent and lose our identify that we once had. This lack of focus can lead to feeling that we aren't being useful. The other possibility is that you may be situationally depressed. This is a short term depression that is resolved when the situation is resolved. Either situation can By lead you to experience lack of interest and hopelessness. The key is to maintain hope and motivation because your opportunities will present themselves eventually. Everyone experiences periods of disappointment and you just have to keep trying. Nothing is resolved by giving up and you have qualities that you should put to good use.

Please press positive feedback so that I am compensated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! You say "maintain hope and motivation". How do I keep motivated during my period of unemployment? What activities do you suggest?

I would do any activities that bring you as a person pleasure. Sometimes it is just as important to be destressed as to be employed. Avoid activities such as drinking and excessive hanging out. Keep motivated by always doing productive things every day even if they do not work out. Make a list if that helps of tasks you want to perform each day that inch you towards the next opportunity. This minimizes time spent on feeling sad. Instead use a journal just for "productive actions" and accomplish something every day