TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, Over the past year Ive been experiencing a lot of

Over the past year I've been experiencing a lot of ups and downs. Recently these feelings have become overwhelming, where before I felt like I could cope. I feel out of control and confused about all aspects of my life. All my relationships feel like they are deteriorating including my relationship with my Boyfriend. I feel as if I don't have anyone else’s support despite the fact I willingly help my house mates, boyfriend and closest friends with theirs. Additionally, this year my closest friends mother committed suicide, my friend tragically found her and I have been helping her for the past 5 months to pick up the pieces of her life. I feel as if I am worn out from everyone, and find it hard to deal with my job over this summer (I am just about to enter my 3rd year of University in a month). To put it simply, I have felt more often than not, that I want the ground to swallow me up. I'm thinking I should maybe get some counselling or something, just to help me sort out my head. Your opinion would help clarify what's going on, so thanks in advance for your help!

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Can you tell me a bit more about your symptoms? You mentioned feeling out of control and confused about your life, and feeling overwhelmed. Anything else going on? I just want to be sure so I can provide a helpful and accurate answer.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I feel very agitated a lot of the time, I find I don't want to deal with people and get angry very quickly, especially with family members. I also find I think about the future a lot, panicking about how everything will fall into place, to be honest most of the time I imagine things going badly. I find I experience many different situations at work that upset me or stress me out, I find working makes me feel tired all the time, I can't remember the last time I didn't feel tired. I also have back pain on lower right side. I just feel pretty rubbish. It worries me how I'm finding it hard to cope with working when other people seem to do more of it and cope better. I feel like I dislike most of the people around me and that I do more for them than they would do for me. I feel like I want to escape from everything disappear somewhere, or sleep for a week..

Thank you. I will work on your answer and get it to you as soon as possible.

It sounds like you are providing a lot of support to others but are not getting much of your own. And you have dealt with a very serious and shocking event with your friend's mother's suicide. That kind of trauma can affect you more than you realize. It can bring out a lot of fears and anxieties.

From your symptoms, it sounds like you may have some mild to moderate depression with some anxiety. Anger, fear, irritation and tiredness are all symptoms. One of the telling signs is that you feel you want to sleep for a long time. That says that avoiding life is more appealing to you than facing it, indicating that you feel overwhelmed and depressed.

Because of your back pain, one of the first things you might want to do is get a medical check up. You don't want to assume that your symptoms are emotionally related if they might be at least partially because of a physical aliment. Then you would just be wasting your time getting treatment. Although most likely your symptoms have more to do with what you have been going through than not, it does not hurt to be sure. And you can at least get an answer as to what the pain in your back might be.

If you are cleared physically, you may want to consider talking to a therapist. You need support right now and it does not sound like you have much in your life at the moment. Talking to a therapist can not only help you get a more specific diagnosis, but it can provide you with ways to cope and someone to support you until you feel better.

You may also want to work on how you feel through self help. To address the agitation for example, you can try progressive relaxation. Here is a link to resources to get you started:

It does not sound like you have any symptoms of PTSD, which is common after a trauma like helping your friend through her mother's death, but you may have some grief issues. You have lost or are losing significant relationships and support in the past year and you have not been able to rely on support since. Any loss can trigger grief. It does not have to be a death to bring on the symptoms. You can explore the symptoms of grief and see if it fits what you feel:

With some support and treatment, you should feel better and be able to look forward to the future.

I hope this has helped you,