Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, I saw my friend again and taking your advice

Dear Dr. Keane, I saw my friend again and taking your advice I went down the route of acknowledging what she had said and about her being astute. I also mentioned about how people, including myself go through difficult times that does have an effect on a person and a little about trust. She appreciated that. Basically I generalised it like that. I felt that I had to say something but I don't feel ready to be going into any actual details with her, although she hopes that in the future I can talk more freely about personal things and not just Christian/church things to her and her husband. She basically made it clear that she cares and isn't going to pressurise me into anything. It actually seemed to clear some of the air a bit and she knows that I do trust her and she feels more comfortable talking to me apparently, not that she didn’t before. She just wanted to be careful not to hurt me. I am so glad that I told you what my friend had said before I saw her again, as it helped a lot as I really didn’t know until we chatted how to handle the situation, and likewise, I am glad that I can share the outcome with you too, as I am glad to be able to continue to share lots of things with you. I’ve been thinking a bit about trust and care and it’s nice to have people who do care and that I can trust with what goes on in my life. Perhaps one day I’ll open up to her more about more personal things. I’ll let you know if I ever do, may need your help on that one. I do want you to know that I am comfortable in telling you everything and I sometimes think about just how wonderful it is, that you, lots of miles across “the pond” shows care for me and trust in me too. Again, I do want to say that I do trust you too and I also care. I am very glad that you still want to chat and that you’re glad when we do connect. I hope we manage to connect again. I think Homeland might be on in October. Not sure when. I hope you had a good weekend and having a good day. Talk to you soon.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I'm here

Dr.Keane :

I'm glad you spoke to your friend, and glad you felt the air was cleared.

Customer:

I feel better now I've spoken to her and said what I said and she feels now that she can chat better with me apparently.

Dr.Keane :

Once you feel more comfortable and confiding or opening up to a trusted individual feels okay, it will happen.

Customer:

we'll see.

Dr.Keane :

What you have done is open up the lines of communication on a different level and you'll get there slowly.

Customer:

well I know that my friend isn't going to probe or anything, which is good.

Customer:

I am still here, just noticed it all jumped a bit.

Dr.Keane :

yes, her concern is genuine, not probing for information.

Customer:

I agree with you that it is heartfelt.

Dr.Keane :

you can usually tell when people are sincere

Customer:

I've only ever confided all to you and my absolute best friend before. Even with my best friend I waited until I saw her (she lives quite a lot of miles away).

Customer:

I think usually i am a good judge of character. I mean, apart from my ex-boyfriend of course, although that had started off all sincere.

Dr.Keane :

Well, that is a good trait. As far as the ex-boyfriend, maybe in the beginning he was sincere but that part of your life is over. You learned something and you moved on.

Customer:

yes, I would say I learnt quite a bit.

Dr.Keane :

trust is a tough one to rebuild, so much fear involved.

Customer:

yes

Dr.Keane :

but know you know and knowing is half the battle (I don't know where I got that from but heard it somewhere)

Dr.Keane :

I want to say a comic character for some reason! lol

Customer:

sounds a bit like a tongue twister or a riddle but it does make sense

Customer:

lol

Customer:

:)

Dr.Keane :

Homeland, not sure when, but know it's coming. I found another BBC series, Bramwell have you seen that?

Customer:

it's strange where we pick things up from at times :)

Customer:

Absolutely

Customer:

I really liked that

Customer:

I haven't thought about that in quite some time. May take a look at it again sometime.

Dr.Keane :

I am on season 3, entertaining. Talk about making mistakes, that woman makes a lot!

Customer:

it was on here many years ago, but yes as far as I remember

Customer:

I can't remember if it's BBC or not but The House of Elliot was good, again shown here many years ago.

Dr.Keane :

I find it interesting in that there is a lot of "assumptions" about things and situations and she isn't right a lot,

Customer:

The Grand was BBC. You may like that.

Customer:

I will definitely need to find Bramwell again.

Customer:

then I'll be able to chat better about it with you. I was quite young when I saw that

Dr.Keane :

I'll look into both, does help to have something to watch. We have so many channels and choices and there are times I think, there is nothing on ! all junk

Customer:

we also have so many on digital and so many I don't watch for the same reason

Customer:

I think you have even more channels than me. I remember you mentioning Sky before. don't have that

Dr.Keane :

I don't think we have Sky, or if we do it is something you have to add on. Between the premium (extra money) channels and reality TV, it's limited.

Customer:

the BBC will keep you busy for awhile. I was a teen when I watched the Grand, it's about all these characters in a hotel I think but it's a period piece. I mainly remember a friend of mine and i chatting about it a lot.

Customer:

I rarely watch reality tv myself. Do watch Strictly Come Dancing though.

Customer:

but most reality is boring and rubbish here.

Dr.Keane :

I watch a couple, mostly cooking competitions and I will admit to watching the talent ones, good old America's got Talent

Customer:

Seen a bit of that

Customer:

and some cooking programmes, just watched one tonight

Dr.Keane :

I record them and then, fly through them. An hour show can be reduced to about 30 minutes if you cut out commercials and half the chatter!

Customer:

love record

Customer:

do the same myself at times when it's a channel that's not BBC

Customer:

Your ads sound more than ours, and I thought we had a lot at times.

Customer:

oh coincidentally a cookery programme has just come on tv.

Dr.Keane :

me too. a lot of commercials/ads....surprised one can remember what the shows are about because the ads are so long!!!

I have to run but I'm glad you and your friend had a chance to talk some more and you can tell who cares and is sincere..

Customer:

Talk to you again soon I hope.

Dr.Keane :

I'll have to check out and see when Homeland returns. Have a good week.....

Dr.Keane :

I should be on and off the rest of the week more than I have been.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.