Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hello, I am a 22 year old who about 6 weeks ago had an awful

Hello, I am a 22 year old who about 6 weeks ago had an awful expierence that led me to be here, I watched a television show showing a boy who commuted suicide and I immediately had an awful panic attack( I have always had anxeity but never to the pout I couldn't calm myself down) I immediately called my primary care dr who adv to sopped my allergy medicine because "suicidal thoughts" can be a side effect, I did immediatly( let me remind you I have definatly been depressed but NEVER thought of suicide, I made an appointment with a psychologist right away away an have been seeing her ever since once a week, in the beginning she advised I had anxeity and couldn't shake the thoughts, I then started having intrusive thoughts that I could harm my boyfriend which I would NEVER do and I am probably about to be engaged soon, clearly this has turned into pure OCD, the thoughts seem to jump from one thing to another, I watched a movie the other night and there was a skitzo phrenic man in the movie and now I am absolutely terrified I will start hearing voices and seeing people and then I will be admitted to a psych ward and there goes my normal life as I've always known it... Sorry for the long story I am just in a complete panic thinking I have really lost it and I will because my anxeity is so high get skitzo phrenic or convince myself I it, it is completely consuming my thoughts with fear :( is this possible? Am I becoming psychotic? Please help
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks and some obsessive think,, ALL of which are forms of anxiety.

You are doing what we in mental health call "catastrophizing", turning molehills into mountains, and letting your imagination run wild.

You must stop watching any scary or violent movies. They are part of the the cause for your fears and reactions. Stop drinking caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea, coke, Mt. Dew, etc.) Absolutely do not use anything with artificial sweeteners in them, or MSG (most snack foods).

Find a therapist near you who used Cognitive Behavior Therapy to help reduce anxiety and reframe your thinking to that you don't let your imaginary fears run wild and bring on the anxiety attacks that have real physical symptoms. They won't kill you, but they will make you think you are going crazy or going to die or something terrible will happen.

These kinds of attacks, aside from psychotherapy, can be controlled with several very effective anti-anxiety medications in the benzodiazepine class. The two most prominent are lorazepam (Ativan) or alprazolam (Xanax). They are best taken AS NEEDED to prevent addiction. Your doctor may not want to give them to you because many drug-seekers try to get this drug, which is a legitimate and wonderful medicine when used correctly, and is widely prescribed.

If your doctor knows and trusts you, then he will prescribe them on an AS NEEDED basis. He might try to give you anti-depressants instead. I do not recomend that you take them, because you have to take them everyday, they have long-term side effects, and while not addictive, cannot by stopped abruptly and have to we weaned off very slowly. They are also not as effective, and can make you gain weight,.

Go to Click FIND A THERAPIST, enter your state and city, and find a therapist to help you. Therapy WILL help you. Then see your doctor and explain your symptoms and try to get the medication that will best stop your anxiety attacks.

I wish you courage and wisdom,

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So there is no way I am skitzo phrenic?

You are definitely not schizophrenic. You have a great deal of anxiety and you worry that you have schizophrenia. When having panic attacks many people think they are going insane (a psychosis such as schizophrenia or delusional disorder) or are having a heart attack or both. They often think of death and the worst thoughts. The are ACTUAL SYMPTOMS of panic disorder. Let me quote from the diagnostic manual: "fear of dying, fear of loss of control or becoming insane, feeling unreal, feeling detached from yourself" or having symptoms of a heart attack such as "chest pain or other chest discomfort, fear of dying, heart pouinding, racing, or skilpping beats, shortness of breath or smothering sensations" and other symptoms. You don't have to have all of them, but this is how you feel.

You have anxiety problems but are not going insane. You don't have to worry about that.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for all your help, these obsessions are just becoming out of control and jumping from one thing to another :( I've thought about even checking myself into a mental institution... I think medicine is my best bet at this point

I am so glad that was able to help and reassure you. Please don't forget to give me a good rating so that I can get credit from JustAnswer. Thank you so much

You do not need to check yourself into a mental institution. You are just suffering from anxiety and that is controllable by dealing with the things that are making you anxious, and in the short term, with the proper medication as I outlined before.

I wish you success. Please don't worry about mental illness. You are a worrier, and not a loonie.

Warm regards,