Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am not sure if the symtoms I am experiencing is related.

I am not sure if the symtoms I am experiencing is related. I take 1mg eltroxin a day and have been taking Centrum 50+. I found that is suffer from insomnia and mild headaches from time to time. I have stopped the Centrum for the past three days and the mild headaches seem to have stopped as well

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well you see the run down feeling and sporadic headaches are most likely to be a result of underlying hypothyroidism which tends to cause mood swings and non specific headache and multiple body compliants and these symptoms go away once the euthyroid status is achieved that is hypothyroidism is corrected and you become free from thryoid problem..So centrum 50 + which is a multivitamin and mineral supplement is unlikely to be causing these symptoms , but if withdrawal of this centrum 50 + has brought relief to your headache then it is better that you remain off it and meanwhile ask your doctor to adjust the dose of eltroxin so as to bring your hypothyroid symptoms under complete control.

Dr. Kaushik :

So to summarize continue on all the drugs as you are taking them right now except for centrum 50+ which shall be maintained in abeyance and if possible replaced with calcium and vit D supplements and also ask your doctor to readjust the dose of eltroxin to make it more effective in maintaining your symptoms..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Dr. Kaushik :

Please give me a Posititve rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Indications from other research is showing that Calcium and eltroxin should not be taken together. Recommendations are that any muti viatim must taken at least 4 hours after eltroxin. What is your opinion on this recommendation?

Well, i disagree that calcium is not taken with eltroxin,yes not at the same time , but at a gap of 8 hrs between the two it can be taken but only once a day . As far as multivitamins are concerned i will agree that there should be atleast 4-6 hrs gap between it and the eltroxin for better absorption of both of the drugs in your body which is essential for better functioning and results..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Please give me a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..