Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I was on effexor er for eight years and now its not working

I was on effexor er for eight years and now it's not working they upped me to 225 for anxiety will this work its only been six days but I want to feel normal again

It is a common clinical observation that after taking any particular antidepressant for a given time period, patient may stop responding to it or start responding partially and in such cases the usual strategy is to first increase the dose further.

The usual daily dose range of Effexor is up to 225 mg per day so increasing the dose by your doctor should be helpful in your case in my view.

It may take 7-10 days before you start noticing improvement but most likely you will notice improvement within 1-2 weeks of increasing the dose.

Kind regards

Vikas

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have a constant fear that somethings wrong with my heart left arm aches and goes numb chest pains neck and back pains had three normal ekgs and a normal stress test should i be satisfied its just anxiety doing this for eight years i felt great and about six months ago i cut my dosage to 75mg on my own so they told me start taking the 150again and after five weeks it had gotten a little better but not normal so im just concerned this wont work either i have had to take ativan everyday for the last two weeks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

Thanks for your reply.

Your investigations are normal and you are responding to Effexor, so your symptoms should be because of anxiety. Don't worry about it to much as the more you will worry, worse will be the anxiety. I am confident that you will not be needing Ativan daily very shortly after increasing the dose of Effexor.

Instead of Ativan which is a short to middle acting benzodiazepine, clonazepam which is a long acting benzodiazepine and could be a much better choice in your case. Clonazepam (Klonopin) can control your anxiety symptoms for much longer time so you can also ask your doctor to shift you on Klonopin for the time being till you are able to notice improvement with the increased dose of Effexor.

Another advantage of using Klonopin will be that it is much easier to taper down and stop Klonpin in comparison to Ativan.

Kind regards

Vikas