Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My daughter just changed from 50 mg of Zoloft and is taking

My daughter just changed from 50 mg of Zoloft and is taking 10 mg Lexapro. She is finding she is more depressed and anxious. Can she just change back to Zoloft?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Hello Madam,

As such there should be no problem in switching back from one SSRI antidepressant to another (both Zoloft and Lexapro are SSRI antidepressant) so if her doctor agrees to this she can revert back to Zoloft without much problem in my view.

Kind regards

Vikas

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So can we just stop taking 10 mg of lexapro and re-start 50 mg of zoloft? Does it need to be tapered?

She has only taken 5 mg of lexapro for a week and then two days at 10 mg.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Hello Ann,

A patient can directly switch over from one SSRI antidepressant (Lexapro) to another SSRI antidepressant (Zoloft) because both of them have more or less similar mechanism of action. There is no need to taper down while switching between SSRI antidepressants.

The dose should be comparable in such cases, for example 50 mg of Zoloft is roughly comparable to 10 mg of Lexapro so if her doctor agrees to this he or she can directly shift her to Zoloft.

For controlling her anxiety symptoms for the time being her doctor can prescribe her low dose of .25 mg Klonopin which can effectively control her anxiety symptoms till she is shifted back on Zoloft. It can be discontinued within 2-3 weeks.

Kind regards

Vikas

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Hello Ann,

Do you have any other query to ask?

Thanks

Vikas

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.