Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states
20091856

Can I take 20mg of prozac? I am taking 40mg a day, seems ok

Can I take 20mg of prozac? I am taking
40mg a day, seems ok but too much sweating
problem.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:
It is fine to take 20mg a day if it works for you.I would want to know why you were bumped up to 40mg. If it was because the 20mg was not working, then you may want to consider changing antidepressants if you do not want to stay at 40mg.
Citalopram or celexa is a good choice if you would like to switch. It is in the same category (ssri) as prozac but has fewer side effects since it is a newer medication.

I hope this helps,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cutting in half of dosage of prozac seems risky.

Is it replaceable with celexa or nortriptyline? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your suggesting Celexa but you did not

mention about it's potency. can you tell me?

Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hello Again,
It is not risky, but if you do not feel comfortable with it, then do not do it. The other option is to take 30mg depending on what size pills you have. They usually come in 20mg tabs if you were taking 40mg, but they do make 10mg tabs. You could alternate 40mg one day and 20mg the next, which would come out to 30mg if you can not get 10mg,
The potency of celexa is very similar to prozac. The average dosage is 40mg, and it is usually started at 20mg.

Thank you,
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience: 25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states