Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

Ive been in a 16+year relationship split for a year and ahalf

Customer Question

Ive been in a 16+year relationship split for a year and ahalf (I was honest w him and let him know I was w someone else - but put an end to it) and we just recently decided to try again after he said he wants to be with me for life but he said it will take time for us to marry... Now I just found out my signifigant other has been confiding in another woman almost daily about our relationship and even "joked" that he should have married her. He compliments her and treats her verbally 100% better than me. He has told her things I didnt even know. I asked him when we first got back together if he had talked to anyone else about us and he said no - he was ashamed - and he has been getting info online websites about relationships and made it clear to me that if we r going to best friends we need to confide in eachother and no one else. I am hurt terribly and he denies lieing to me. Its insane ....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

I want to make sure I understand: you have hard evidence he's been talking to her every day and even about your relationship, and he denies this is the case? Is that what you mean it's insane? If so, you're right. How does he explain this?

If he is denying that he says he should have married her instead of being with you, what is keeping you in this relationship? He must be pretty special that you aren't just walking away again. Why not?

Does either of you have any mental health issues?

Are either of you getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did u get my response

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont see it on here it was long
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
No, as you can see, my questions to you are the last thread we have before your question if I got your response. Could you please try your response again?

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - i saw it with my own eyes i had to wake him to tell him i was not going to the beach i was hurt and couldnt go

he reconnected w her on facebook during our breakup

he keeps saying to this point i never tell the whole story etc etc that i have talked to others too - true but i stopped when we were supposed to be working together on us -

he is still talking with her as friends he sa

i dont even need to do this he is still making me cry at this moment - I never hated anyone until no - how can i love and hate the same person!!!!

im just sick i want to smash everything around me

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

why am i putting myself thru this

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure either why you're putting yourself through this. There are only two possibilities here:

Either he's trying to keep her "in his pocket", so to speak, in case you don't work out or you believe him that you "don't tell the whole story" and he is doing something innocent.

One is that he's untrustworthy and the other is saying that you may be insecure, or rather way over insecure.

The way to tell is to look at your relationship history: do you have a history of sabotaging your romantic relationships with fear of being betrayed, or fear of abandonment, or such fears?

If not, if you haven't been so worried about these things in the past, then his saying that you don't tell the whole story isn't good enough. Then this is indeed a betrayal of the relationship. It's a betrayal to "joke" that he should have married her and not come back to you. That's not something you joke about. But then to lie about it, that's over the top.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am ocd adhd I have a neurological disorder and anxiety didorder due to an accident i was in while he was driving three yrs ago - i am the 19th person JHH has seen with this type of damage to the milan sheath around the spinal cord - I was going to JHHand UVA for treatment but they didnt want me driving that far so they just started me going to a counselor here near me but he is on vaca till the 12th.

when I first told scott I had been w someone else he told me he wished i would die from a terrible disease

i couldnt believe he could say that to me (my brother is hiv +)

when he denied all this and saying that i make false accusations etc. when the facts r in black and white - he has no remorse - etc. he kept lieing and saying stuff to hurt me and denying me my feelings - discrediting me making me feel crazy for feeling the way i do - hurt

which then made me angry - i told him to STOP and SHUT UP he is driving me crazy - just own it - "he said he was but its not true" - OMG really - I told him I hated him and If I had a gun I would shoot him right now (that was last night)

he said that makes me just as bad as him....

i cant stop crying

he is still lying and saying hes not

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he keeps telling me when he said he wasnt talking to his friends about us - he was talking about his close friends -

etc.

lie lie lie lie

I get so upset when he keeps lieing to me

why cant he just tell me the truth'

he told me quote on quote

"he hasnt said anything to anyone nor do i want to because its imbarassing I dont want anyone to know - i have just been getting info about us off line websites"

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

This is clearly not a healthy relationship that the two of you have. It would be very useful for you to take a cooling off period from each other right now.

You don't have to make a permanent decision about the relationship. That can wait. But to take some time off to cool off and to get through the holiday and then to have your counselor back is the key here. Then, after you two have cooled off and you can talk it through with your counselor, you will be in a much better position to make a long term decision.

Sometimes there is no need to make long term decisions right away. And it's better not to in those times. This is one of those times.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had it all together - earlier in the first response that somehow didnt go thru

I am so sorry for the crazy responses he has been outside all day and hasnt said anything to me except i got u a biscuit from mcdonalds this am - i was up all night crying took a sleep aid and woke up to a noise around 2pm - oh and earlier around 7 am he asked me if i was going to the beach - i said no - i just cant -

he has been outside all day watvhing tv in the screen room and ive been inside trying to figure out whats going on

part ofme wants to leave another part of me doesnt because i think if i do - - i will never talk to him again - it just hurts

i think if he didnt find out she was engaged he would have pursued her - not me

her boyfriend comes home in novemeber -

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just dont feel love from him anymore. real love.

I have been giving my all - even after the year and a half of hurt and mental pain he had put me thru - i forgave him and agreed to try and work on us fresh - then this

and he is still trying to cover up and changing the story - saying he isnt lieing but he is

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do not lie - period.

that is extremely important to me

he promised to never lie -

i catch him in this lie and he is covering it up for some reason

i dont understand why

how do i handle him lieing to me.

it may not be a huge lie but it is a lie and it hurts terribly

i feel i could forgive and move forward if he even confessed to it but he denies it

what do i do?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant handle him having this emotional connection with this other female

and I cant handle him lieing to me about confiding in her about our relationship and treating her as his best friend and not me.

Tell me how to cope right now - please

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if the relationship will be over or not if you leave.

But I'm concerned about it ending in tears and angers and arguments if you DO stay. See what I mean?

You're very distraught and you have lost your sense of trust in him. Everything he is doing you are rejecting and take it in a negative way. That is not encouraging and that makes me concerned about you two interacting right now.

That's why I'm concerned about your being with him. If you don't want to go home, then you will need to call a truce to the argument for the duration of the trip. In other words, suspend the issues. You can take them up again when you get back home. Until then, enjoy the beach, the restaurants, etc. Don't think about the issues at all. And when you do start to think about them, banish them from your mind.

But if you can't do that and you're going to be miserable the whole trip, then it isn't worth it because as I said, it will end the relationship most likely.

I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we havent left for the beach yet... i want to try to settle it first.... but I need your advice on how to get pass this -

we are both sitting here right now .

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
You have set up an impossible situation for yourself:

On one side you've said you want to go on this trip with him.

On the other side you say you "can't handle what he's doing.

These won't work together. You have to choose and decide between them. If you want to go on the trip to the beach with him, that's fine. Do it with no commitments to the future: you're going to have a good time with someone you know how to have a good time with. Period. Like I wrote above.

But, if you really can't handle what he's doing, then you can't handle it. End of story.

You can't have both because they contradict each other and they won't work in the same reality: either you put away the problems for after the trip or you can't go on this trip with him because you'll be crying and yelling the whole time together.

It really sounds like you want to go to the beach with him. So go ahead. The problems won't disappear. They'll be here when you get back and you can deal with them then. Put them aside and deal with them then, okay?

I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont care about the trip

I can not have fun with him knowing he is treating someone else better than me and lieing about it while we r supposed to be working on us together with eachother

what do you suggest - we want to handle it now - we r not going to the beach.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i told him i cant go forward with us if he is going to keep conversing with her

he said im sorry u feel that way im still going to talk to her as a friend.

am i wrong for feeling this way

it hurts me so bad that he thinks so much more of this other person than me

i know she did nothing wrong he is the one that said he should have married her instead "joking" he says it still hurts the same and says such sweet and kind words to her and share nick names back and forth

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Well, then, it's time to take a cooling off period from each other as I said.

You are too hurt and are not ready to be with him. That is your situation. So then take some time away. There's no need to make a permanent decision now. It's usually a good policy to delay making permanent decisions when you are feeling strong emotions. It's better to take a cooling off period and then talk together to decide if he's still holding on to his denials and you're still angry. At that time you can make more permanent solutions, right?

I'm going to be away for a while for dinner and then I'll be back if you need to continue. It sounds, though, as though you've gotten to the bottom of your feelings: you can't have a good time with him at this time. That tells us it's time, then, for you to take a break.

I wish you the very best!

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm back. Are you okay?

Dr. Mark
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Christina. I see you haven't responded yet to my answer. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on how it's going and on whether you thought my response was on target or if we need to continue with further clarification. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons.

Let me know,

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I absokutely agree with what you said.
I am no longer angry... just really hurt.
We did sit down to try and talk ..... he does the silent treatment
Or he Will raise his voice trying to be stern like a father and child.
I wouldn't accept that behavior.
then he spoke in a normal tone w me.
But he is still denying that he lied to me.
He said that he can see how I thought he may have lied but when he told me he hadnt talked to any of his friends About us he meant his circle of friends.
This is quoted... by what he said.

He is not being compassionate or making me feel that he cares about my feelings in anyway.

He is actually pouting like....

He just came in here a min. Ago and said I really want u to go w me to see robbie in the OBX
I said i cant ride w u for 3 hours in a car right now....
I have deep feelings for u and am hurt terribly i want to be w u but i would just b setting myself up to keep getting hurt and crying wishing we were happily together.and I cant live a lie and fake it.
He said I want to be w u too. I said I know that I didnt do anything to hurt u.

Then He said cant u just go and have a good time... i will just tell them we r arguing.
I said but its more than that because if it so easily comes to u how to manipulate the situation...
I really cant be with yyou like that at all.
I repeated the situation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Saying that i asked u specifically who have you told or been talking to about us.... and u told me no one.... its embarrassing ....i said no one at all
Bye then interupted me and said well if i said that i did lie. Im sorry.

With no feeling... no heart.

I just looked at him hurt and confused..... wondering how to handle this... howd many other things has he lied me about..... he already doesnt tell me everything .... k.espescially things from me or doesnt feel compelled to tell me.... like i do him.

Then he just got up and said if you feel that stronglyabout it then dont go!
And went in the other room and started getting thinugs togtether....

He didnt used to be this way ..... well as far as i know.... mayybe im just realizing it. I dont know.

Then I just started writtiing u again.

After about 15 mins.
He came back n and sat down asks me who im texting i told him ... the counselor ive been talking to

He waiited a min.

Said R u definatelyy not going.?

No emotion from him.

I justt said hold on a min. So i could let u know wherre Im at before i sent this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to hear back from u about what u think i should do on how to handle the way he is.
What is ur honest oppinion from what I have said to you?
I dont want u to tell me to wait.... i understand that.... but after i wait.... then how do i handle this.?
How do i cope with not trusting him about the manipulation and lieing and being betrayed on the marriage comment... joking or not.?
He tells me he has no feelings for her at all but refuses to stop talking to her .... and part of me wants him to continue talking to her because he seems to respect and appreciate her thoughts. I truly believe in my heart he would pursue her if she wasnt engaged. He is closer to her than he is to me by reading the texts. After talking with u last night i even saw more flirtation from months ago w her and him initiated by him. He has had this emotional connection w her for at least 2 or 3 three months.
But mostly the lieing and manipulatiin as well as the sweet ways he is with her telling her she is pretty and sexy and nice butt and shes so sweet he should have married her .... etc. and not wanting to stop messaging her is what hurts so deep.

What would you do?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
There are two ways relationships organize themselves. Some people agree not to have any emotionally intimate relationships or "friendships" with members of the other sex and other people agree to maintain those relationships.

And it's a matter of values. For some people the emotional intimacy and closeness is part of the exclusive monogamous relationship. Meaning that they see monogamy as not being just sexual but also in terms of emotionally connected to anyone of the opposite sex. This is the traditional view and it is held by the majority of people.

This is a decision a couple has to make and it's a very fundamental decision about the relationship that has to be made early on or else trouble lies ahead. You two have not made this decision and trouble has come your way.

You are clearly seeking the traditional relationship and it seems he is not. Without agreement on this fundamental part of your relationship, there is no way to be intimate in ways that make each of you comfortable: he's put in a "straitjacket" by your limitations you are imposing on his relationships with female friends who he claims are not in his inner circle but he's emotionally attached to. And you're put in an untenable position where you do not feel you have his total loyalty.

So, this is the situation you two have to agree on. And if not, it would be better to part ways sooner than later.

All the very best to you,
Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank hoj very very much for getting back to me.
You are absolutely right.
There is no doubt in my mind.
I want to say thank you for being there for me/ us at the time I needed someones outside oppinion.
I do want to let you know we did agree in our relationship to kee monotonous and only Confide in eachother.... he just decided to Continue and lie about it. But none the less....
You are right .....
I feel 100% he is not ready to be with just me anymore and
I on the other hand dove back in 100% believing it was all he said it would be.

If you get the chance listen to the song "Eyes Wide Open" not sure who sings it but its fairly new and exactly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And exactly the way I feel. Its fast passed dance type music.

I would like to say Thank you very much for your time and insight.
If I could see u in person I would give you a hug. :)
I believe I need to work alot on me and believing in myself and trusting my feelings.
I knew all this was going on... I could feel it in my heart.... because my feelings were so attatched to him.

Again... Thank you so very much for being there in a deffinate time of need for me.
And listen to that song i mentioned Eyes wide open. That is me now. At least Im trying.
I did agree to go to the beach and I am seperating myself.... treating it as a day by day moment by moment thing just trying to enjoy life for what it is and where I am right now.
I wasnt sure I could do it... but I prayed and thought about the things u have said also read a book about emotional abuse... which i believe he does to me alot.... pushes my buttons too.... and knows it.
Anyhow.... I see a little more clearly now.
I will follow up with my counselor and i will also let u know how things have turned out if you like.
Take care and know that what you are doing has deffinately kept me out of the hospital and helped at least one person... me.
Hugs and much love to you and yoirs.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
I wish you all the very best and stay in touch!

All the best,
Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh the name of the song is "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry

Not sure of the spelling of her name but the other song wasnt the one I was thinking of.... this one is the correct song.

Thanks again. And God bless you and your family.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for telling me: now I'll try to find it online.

Be well,
Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just an update ... as we have been at the beach it was difficult for me to see our other friends who are married happily .... only because we promised not to discuss our situation till we got home .... and I wanted to be happy together as a couple too... or at least no wonder.... or be in limbo.
Well ironically yesterday we were sitting looking at the water and a couple who had just arrived celebrating their anniversary and her 60th birthday... walked by us said hi and asked about fishing ....
And we got to talking about piers etc. In the area... I offered to take some pics of them together ....
they asked us how long we had been married that we were such a nice couple. ..
Long story short if I can....
They ended up being ministers for christ and talked/counseled us for 3 hours on our relationship and the situation. It was very good, we were both glad and thankful to have talked things over and found a sort of peace within. Although he still has decided to continue his emotional relationship with this other female, I felt ok because I knew where I stood with him. It wasnt what I wanted to hear but it is how he feels and I respect his feelings. But at the same time I respect mine as well. So, I have decided to not consider a future with him at this time. In my heart my spirit doesnt feel he is 100% with me. I am learning to build me confidence back up and have put most my feeling into my art and being honest kind and funloving.
He is not too understanding as to whyv I feel this way... he still claims its nothing just a friend etc. I made it veryv clear
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Good for you. That was a great experience with the other couple. Thank you for sharing it.

You might consider having him read my posting about the values differences: why, if your values are that emotional relationships with those of the other sex are not part of monogamous relationships, he feels so strongly that he needs to have that relationship with her which goes against your values. If his values are very strong about having such relationships, it would be good for you to know.

All the best to you,

Dr. Mark