Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

I caught my 7yr old daughter watching some inappropriate videos

I caught my 7yr old daughter watching some inappropriate videos on YouTube, what do I do now?
She has an iPod & when I went to get him to go to bed I noticed she exited whatever she was doing & pretended to be playing a game. I knew something was up so I took the iPod & immediately went into the YouTube app to see what she was watching, if anything. She became very nervous & tried to take the iPod from me so I knew it was something bad. As it turned out she was watching naked men pictures and videos. This incident happened twice before and i just taljed to her nicely, gave her a 5 min timeout but didnt do anything else coz i didnt want her to get hung up to that matter. Obviously my plan isnt working. What do i do now??
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:
I would recommend taking away all internet access from your daughter unless you are present. I would also wonder why a seven year old is interested in this-it is a bit out of the realm of developmental curiosity at this age. You may want to have her evaluated for any type of abuse-sexual or otherwise, that has her interested in this area. I certainly do not mean to startle you, but I would look into this further.
The other approach is to tell her that you have seen what she is looking at and explore why and where it came from, etc..You could also consult with her pediatrician, who may be able to recommend a good child therapist to do a thorough evaluation. However, until you decide what to do, I would recommend absolutely stopping all internet access unless you are supervising.
I hope this helps,