Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Im 39 years old and the joke of " I cant remember" is starting

I'm 39 years old and the joke of " I can't remember" is starting to get old. Could there be something really wrong with me? It takes for ever for me to study a topic. I hate taking tests because I won't remember what I studied for two days, I don't remember details of anything. I'm lucky I know my families names! But can work with someone for years and then not see them for several years and then see them and not remember their name. Where do I start to see how I can get better at this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about this problem. Could you please tell me for how long have you been experiencing this memory problem?

Customer:

I wish I could give you a good answer. It's been as long as I can remember. I always had a hard time in school because it was hard to remember things. Even in elementary.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then it is not something new. Has it got worse with time? How did you handle it before for so many years?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Were you ever evaluated during childhood, teenage years or adulthood for this problem taking into account it has always been present?

Customer:

I learned to adapt and didn't realize it was really a problem that may be fixed. Thought it was just me. I guess it is getting worse with age but I just write everything down. I can remember some things. I can live day to day etc. but wish I could remember when my daughter lost her first tooth or learned how to walk.

No, My mother passed away when I was 12 and I went to live with my grandparents. so Never figured it was a problem.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about your loss. Your father was not present in your childhood?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Was it exclusively about memory, not involving attention or concentration problems?

Customer:

thank you. No. I was a military brat. we moved a lot and he was actually my step dad and so my grandparents were guardians.

No, I think its all. lol now that you make me think about it. It's hard for me to concentrate on things for a long time. I'm always on the go and on to the next thing. My reading comprehension is horrible. have to read it several times.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then perhaps your memory problem is related to the attention-concentration difficulties.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do you consider yourself a sensitive or anxious person?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Is there any exception, any area where you could say you do not experience attention-concentration-memory problems at all?

Customer:

yes. I've gotten better with the anxious part. exercise etc.

I'm not sure really. What kind of area do you mean? work vs home or more specific?

Customer:

I've been told I have a over active nervous system.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Any area. is there any area where you do not

experience attention-memory problems at all?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What i can tell you is that your problem could be more related to attention, concentration deficit and anxiety than to any other condition. There are several medical conditions creating memory problems, from high blood pressure to nutritional problems and other physical-physiological conditions. But you have experienced these problems since childhood then it would make sense it is more related to problems around these psychological processes than with any other issue. The only way to know is through a complete medical evaluation to rule out any medical problem causing these symptoms, then a complete psychological assessment.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Improving anxiety management and developing concrete strategies to improve attention and concentration would deeply impact on your memory processes if you do not have a medical condition related to these symptoms. Your nervous system changes and adjusts to your emotions, feelings and experiences, thus working at that level would allow you to empower and promote its integrity and functioning, reducing anxiety. Counseling or psychotherapy would be necessary in that case.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I do not recommend delaying necessary medical and psychological evaluations in order to find out core problems here, so to define a support-treatment plan for you to develop improvements, feeling and functioning better.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Yes, I understand. I will start to research more and make some arrangements to begin with the medical side and then move on from there.

Thank for for explaining a little and at least pointing me in the right direction to get better.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Please feel confident that with adequate support you would not only be able to understand what you experie

nce but to get necessary assistance to create improvements.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust, and please consider both evaluations, the medical and the psychological one.

Customer:

I am confident now that there is something that can help and I will be sure to do both evaluations. If it's medical then no sense looking psychological first.

thank you again, you really have eased my mind.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Yes, start by medical evaluation.

You're very welcome.

Take good care.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach