Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

Are there any new meds out there for us bipolars? I usually

Are there any new meds out there for us bipolars? I usually develop a tolerance for them after awhile, & then I have to go & try something else. I have just about run out of meds that actually do something for me.

Thank you
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:
There are new medications coming out constantly to treat Bipolar Disorder. Most of them help with mood stabilization-you may have tried some of these-Lamictal, Neurontin, and the old fashioned lithium. These help stabilize the mood and then a different medication, usually an antidepressant helps the depressive part. Often times a different, more sedating medication, such as seroquel can work with a manic episode.
I wonder if you access to a psychopharmacologist who is willing to try different things or combine different meds. Often times, off label medications, i.e. they were initially marketed to treat something else, can be very beneficial.
Most recently, the ones that I have seen be most effective are lamictal and neurontin. They are typically used with a newer antidepressant such as citalopram or celexa.
I hope this is helpful and wish you well,