Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Can people diagnosed with bipolar disorder take valium?

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, yes you may take valium even if you are diagnosed wit Bipolar disorder, but the problem is that valium being a benzodiazepine drug has a potential for getting abused and lead to addiction, and as it is typical of a bipolar disorder , where in the individual develops pleasure seeking behaviour which may lead to abusing prescription drugs to get high/ sense of well being, so the risk for valium abuse may become manifold , so this is one concern that is there with the use of valium with an underlying diagnosis of Bipolar disorder.

Dr. Kaushik :

So i reckon you should discuss this with your doctor and if at you continue to use valium , then make sure it is either for short duration , say 3-4 weeks only or used on PRN basis that is use as per the need such as in case of severe gad only..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps to allay your doubts and gives you a sense of direction to move in.

Wish you all the best.

Please give me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Please use the reply button if there is any further doubt/ query remaining.