Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

my negative thoughts are taking over and i feel i will lose

Customer Question

my negative thoughts are taking over and i feel i will lose control, more like physcosis. its as if my mind has turned against me i want to go to emergency room but have been advised to hold off couple of days and get meds on tuesday to help me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, this is Jean, a mental health therapist- I can assist you

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you for posting today. You sound like you are really struggling. Can you tell me a bit about what you are afraid of? I hope I can offer some support, and reassurance to help you through this.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Remember, negative thoughts are just that "thoughts" it does not make them true just because they are thoughts. If you have been deeling with these symptoms for a while- I'm confident you can get through this!

Customer:

Its has if my own body and mind is trying to destroy itself. My inner voice is saying evil things to me and telling me to swallow all day. I feel like I am no longer a part of my mind and it's trying to drive me out of control on purpose and its getting more intense as time passes each day.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you for joining the live chat. By posting your comments today you are taking charge of this- vs. sitting and struggling by yourself- good for you! Negative thoughts can carry us away from the reality of things- like you said like "psychosis". Your awareness tells be the rational part of you can get you through this.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You will be okay- this will not be the end of you. Please take a deep breath for me, hold that breath for a second or two, and exhale.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Repeat this a couple of times- you can not be relaxed and tense at the same time.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

We need to focus on quieting your mind a bit- help you eas this anxiety.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You can get through this- I'm here to assist you-

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Your mind is getting carried away- these are just thoughts-

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Having the thoughts does not make it true.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Are you still with me? I hope you are deep breathing:)

Customer:

my mind keeps telling me to swallow repeatly, its so bothersome i dont sleep much. I wake up and stay up most of the night as the mind demands intensify. I can't open a book to read because i am exhausted, scared. sorry my phone. It telling me to swallow constantly and the swallowing is real and full of discomfort and annoyance that cause me to be miserable and just want to not deal with anything or exist. I just started back breathing. It also hard for my tongue to relax , it feels very heavy and out of place.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Yes- you are swallowing to ease the anxiety- but it then creates more- that's where the deep breathing needs to come in. Deep breath, and as you inhale tell yourself you are safe, this is only my thoughts, I can get through this, and as you exhale out with the negative thinking- this thinking is doing you no good right now- practice the breathing throughout the day, any time, especially when you wake up at night.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Who adivised you to hold off a couple days and get meds tues?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You have gotten yourself so charged up- it will take you time and practice to ease your mind- you are safe, you can get through this. Swallowing will not harm you- discomfort like you said.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What is your anxiety and fear really about? Are you lonely, worried about something in particular?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Continue to concentrate on your breathing as you read this, and while typing.

Customer:

i called mental health hootline and they said try to hold off if possible because they believe meds will help me alot versus going through hospital. Do you have suggestion. The middle of july i experienced dramatic pain and discomfort in my throat, eyes, chest etc. after that I could no longer sleep and went to the emergency room and was referred to throat dr. my thyroid had grown to 7cm and was compressing everything near it making it hard to breath and swallow. I has to swallow alot after eating to try to help stuck food get down espophagus and food that would come back up. After removal of my thyroid last week the anxiousness has continued. That experience and the surgery was alot to take on and scary knowing the struggles that some people have with thyroid problems.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Focus on that part that is uncomfortable like your tougue, as you deep breath, focus the deep breathing into that area of discomfort. Are you by yourself- can someone come over and comfort and support you? Anxiety can feed on being isolated and lonely. Something to try as you deep breath is picture a relaxing place, a beach, a garden, a peacful walk through a forest- this is guided imagery. What have you found relaxing in the past when you have felt anxious? When we are anxious we do not get adequate oxygen to our body- your deep breathing can get that oxygen through your body and lead to relaxation. You may find that concentrating on the breathing- you are not swallowing- if you are it's okay- continue to practice.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You can get through this- yes surgery is scary- there is good treatment after removal of your thyroid.

Customer:

I will get out and spend more time around people. Being tired and being a nervous wreck makes me want to hide. I will get out of isolation and breath more, you have brought it to my attention: I realize how much my body is lacking oxygen from not breathing.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Yes that's a great plan!! Would you be willing to check out a progressive relaxation video on youtube- there's a bunch of them- try a couple- see if one is appealing to you? Progressive relaxation takes you through relaxing each muscle in your body with nice soothing music. If your thyroid was just removed last week you will feel some discomfort- more of a reason to try and relax so you can heal.

Customer:

YES, sounds good. Thanks.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Sounds so simple but breathing is so important- especially deep cleansing breathing. You will get through this- yes be with people, get your mind off of this- diversion from so much thinking.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are welcome take care!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Best of luck in your healing and recovery.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Please rate my answer in order for me to get credit- thanks for you post today.

Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for listening to me, it helped alot. I am now on zoloft and klonipin. I have more good days than bad, I am giving the meds time to work. I was taking abilify but it increased anxiety so I stopped it. I think seroquel may do me better. I start breathing when it gets tough and I do better, I look to speak with you soon.

Expert:  Jean replied 2 years ago.

Good to hear things are going a bit better. Yes, medications take time to determine their effectiveness, so you do have to be patient. You sound more optimistic. More good days than bad- that's all any of us would want- focus on what is going right, what you are grateful for, what you are working for. Yes, as simple as it seems we must concentrate on our breathing when things get tough. When stressed and anxious we tend to breath too shallow- continue to focus on taking deep, full, and cleansing breaths. Thanks for checking back in, like to hear about the things that are going better- good outcomes and all that.

Take Care,

Jean