Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

My husband just had a stroke 3 weeks ago. While he was in

Customer Question

My husband just had a stroke 3 weeks ago. While he was in the hospital, I became ill with a viral respiratory infection. I cannot seem to get well. I have been off work for the last week, to "rest", but am not much better. I have been taking vitamins, as well as steroids, and cold medicine. What do I need to do? My husband is in rehab now, and I see him every night for about 3 hours, until 10:30-11:00 p.m.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao : Hi are you on
Doctor Rao : Online
Customer:

yes

Doctor Rao : Ok.I am sorry to hear about your husband and hope he is receiving good help in Rehab centre
Doctor Rao : As you rightly said it clearly seems like a situational crisis.It is not unusual to feel this way under similar situations.
Customer:

He is receiving excellent care in a physician-owned facility. He is where he needs to be. At the present time, he is receiving 3 hours a day of speech, occupational, and physical therapy. He has improved to the point that he can say more than one word at a time, and can feed himself.

But I need to take care of a lot of things, I cannot afford to be sick. I've had this infection for over 2 weeks.

Doctor Rao : Yes.I can understand. In situations like this the combined factors that would take a toll, both physical and emotional. Physically you are receiving medications. I take your point you were off for a week but not feeling better. In the week off did you managed to get some sleep or able to overcome some of the anxiety attacks successfully as unless the ego have been looked in to yu would not get the feeling of refreshed
Customer:

Yes, I have been sleeping, but it is so hard to sleep restfully, with coughing, and also not used to being alone in the house at night. I feel like I need to hear any odd noises that may happen during the night, for safety reasons.

Doctor Rao : Yes.ofcourse I can understand. Whether we like it or not it is a life changing situation and sometimes you need tmprepare for the role reversal.
Doctor Rao : If you do not have negative attitude eto medication it might be an idea to seak to your doctor about a medication called Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) 25 mg up to twice daily. This medication is helpful for anxiety attacks and al
Doctor Rao : So sleep if you take it int he the night baht 30 minutes prior to your sleep time
Customer:

Yes. I know. And God has been with both of us every step of the way. I just want to get my physical self well! I am so weak every day, I can do a little bit, I feel a little better, but before long, I am worn out, and sweating with the slightest exertion. Also, I still have a LOT of drainage and coughing. You are correct, my dr. wanted me to take an OTC sleep aid, and I have been taking 2 Benadryl at bedtime, which, for me, are very sedating. I just thought I would be better by now

Doctor Rao : Good to hear. I am sorry but this issue needs some time for you to deal with.it is beause you need to come to terms with his longterm. Ondition,your cage feeling unwell,relook in to lifestyle changes, I can see that you are a strong willed person and would be able to come off this crisis successfully. I wish you and him all the best
Doctor Rao : Please do. Of hesitate to ask me if you need any more specific information.Happy to answer if I can.
Doctor Rao : Otherwise, if you find the answer helpful please provide positive feedback. I will await for your response.
Customer:

Ok, thanks. I just wondered if there was anything else I needed to DO or to supplements I need to take that would be helpful to my immune system, other than basic vitamins. That is my real question.

Doctor Rao : No not needed. Oyu can continue with vitamins. Pelase check your Haemoglobin level and thyroid levels if not already done.If any of these are low a person can feel easily exhausted .
Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych