Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I need an effective anti depression for anxiety, ocd & depression.

Customer Question

I need an effective anti depression for anxiety, ocd & depression. I realise medications work differently for everyone but what is a medication that will work with little to no side effects?? I took Luvox in the past for ocd and it had no side effects, but I'm not sure if I want to take that again as I have been reading there are more effective medications and I didn't have anxiety in the past. They prescribed me mirtazipine but I do not want to feel so drowsy as I have a daughter to look after.
Is Zoloft better then Luvox for my symptoms? What would you suggest? I also have a hard time falling to sleep at night so I don't want one that could make that worse. Thank you for your help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Since you suffer from multiple symptoms, OCD, Anxiety, and Depression) and you do not wish to suffer from the side effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Luvox, then your best bet is probably mirtazapine.

An ongoing survey of drug users has shown, as of August 30th (2 days ago), that out of
14,914 respondants taking mirtazepine, only 574 people (3.85%) have shown sleepiness as a side effect. Chances are you will be in the 96% who are NOT affected. This drug is effective for depression, OCD, and anxiety, does not promote weight gain, and does not have sexual side effects (like most other antidepressants).

OCD is best cured by talk therapy (psychotherapy) using a cognitive behavioral technique known as Exposure and Response Prevention, and will actually get to the source of your obsessions and stop them, rather than just preventing the symptoms from popping up. It's rather like a person with a sinus infection that gives him a bad headache. He takes ibuprofen and the headache goes away for awhile. It is better to find out where the headache is coming from (sinus infection) and treat the cause and not the symptom.

In the meanwhile, mirtazapine will give you the best relief with the least side effects.

I wish you great success and good health.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC