Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Tyler (grandson) moved in with my son (Michael) his father about 3 years ago. He came fro

Tyler (grandson) moved in with my son (Michael) his father about 3 years ago. He came from his mother's and boyfriends house where he was being physically abused by his mother's boyfriend. During the divorce proceedings my son and his fiance (Tary) had a baby girl in November of 2007 (Savannah). Everything was going well until Tyler started a new school by his dads. He was doing very poorly and would not listen and getting in trouble. That is how Tyler was at the school he was going to when living with his mother In the last two years Tyler has become acting out sexual acts. He was caught humping two younger girls, and just last night he touched his sister inappropriately. He is on ADHD medication prescribed by his doctor. We feel that there is something beyond ADHD. He is lying and not doing his homework and the medication is not working. Tyler is also disrespecting Taryn We are asking for Dr. Phil's help. We think that maybe Tyler needs structure schooling, boarding school
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear concerned grandparent,

Tyler is very insecure because of the abuse suffered at the hands of his mother and her boyfriend (her abuse was in the for of neglect). The place he calls home has changed and he feels very insecure about that.

Now he is no longer the the youngest child in his father's home, and that causes jealousy and insecurity. His acting out is a way of calling for attention. He is feeling abandoned because of the cumulative effects of his experiences.

He needs more attention, more feeling of being safe and loved and wanted. Perhaps he does not have ADHD, but just extreme anxiety from the trauma of his unstable world, particularly the abuse by the boyfriend, although all of the factors contribute.

I strongly believe that sending hims to boarding school would make him much worse and further traumatize him.

He needs more attention, and probably needs to work with a child therapist, perhaps one that uses the technique of play therapy, to help him tell his story.

He must be taught, of course, that some of his behavior is not acceptable, and grounding or taking away video games is appropriate.

He does need a lot of extra attention and unconditional love to reassure him. I'm sure that you have a loving and caring family. Now is the time to give more, if possible, to help him regain is self-assurance and calm his fears of abandonment.

I am sure that your family could accomplish this, and I wish your the best success in helping to end his fears.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He was seeing a child therapist for the past year and unfortunately it just does not seem to help. Michael and Taryn are afraid to leave him alone in any part of the house with Savannah.

If Michael and Taryn have this legitimate fear and mistrust, and they can find no therapists to make any progress with him, then the only options left are to sent him to boarding school, return him to his mother, or temporarily put him in a foster home. It is quite unfortunate for Tyler, but it seems that he has run out of options.

I wish the best for him and all of your family

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for your high rating and generosity,. I wish great blessings for your family.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC