Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Im a 58 year old man, I currently take Ritalin dosed at 40

I'm a 58 year old man, I currently take Ritalin dosed at 40 mg four times a day for ADD however it is rather ineffective. My doctor just started me on Cymbalta 60 mg once a day, I wanted to talk to him about switching over to Adderall XR because my son is ADHD and he takes and it seems to work very well in him. Is it safe to take Adderall XR and Cymbalta together?
Hello Joe-

Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

In general, amphetamines and other sympathomimetic appetite suppressants should not be combined with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).

See this links which explains the contraindications:

That said, some patient's whose medication is closely monitored by their Doctor (i.e. a Psychiatrist that is well versed in medication management) can tolerate these medications.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that it is possible to use these medications but only under close supervision of your Doctor.

If you have additional comments, questions etc, feel free to ask.

Otherwise, I Appreciate your Positive Rating So that I receive credit for my time.

Kindest regards, Bill