Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Ive been taking pristiq for 5 weeks now, but dont feel any

I've been taking pristiq for 5 weeks now, but don't feel any change, also take 30 mg of serax 3 day and 20 alavil to sleep. I gave up all hope that prestiq will work
It really is too early to give up on the Pristiq being effective. I would give it 8 to 10 weeks before asking your Doc to review it. Different medications work differently for different people.

Can you tell be what your diagnosis is, and if you are having any other treatment apart from medication?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when i was 21 i started having anxiety , it was my last year of college. my parents are old school and didn't really believe or knew what was happening to me. After a couple of weeks when i lost 20 pounds , i started to search what was happening to me. I didnot know what to do, went to my pcp he gave me paxil, i started feeling better after first 10 days, so then i stopped without knowing that u cannot do it cold turkey. When i finally got to psychitrist, i was already anxious and depressed, so first he thought that i had depression, but after he gave me zoloft which i took for 1 year there was no change, plus i developed oc disorder, which thankfully comes on rarely. it took a while to diagnose me with GAD. i went back to paxil and was feeling good, increasing and decreasing doses 10-40 mg throughout the years. two years ago i got pregnant with my second child, and my doctor didnot want to deal with me, so he told me to look for another psychiatrist. my main goal was to change paxil to something else during pregnancy, so i found another doc. he gave me lexapro 5 mg, but i could not handle the transition period, eventually i terminated my pregnancy it was too much worry and i was already a wreck. After that i went back on paxil which worked only for few months, even when i took 60 mg. Now i was lost, effexor did not agree with me, oleptra made my muscles hurt, doxepin seemed to help but i has swollen ji]oints and gained weight. Pamelor worked together with 20 mg celexa and 0.5mg twice a day klonopin. about a month and a half, i started feeling like my boat started to rock again more often, so my doc gave me extra 25 mg of pamelor, which now made it 100mg daily. when i went to my appt, he said that maybe generics did not work for me as well, so he gave me pristiq, i have no side affects from it, but and klonopin was not doing its job either, so he gave me oxapam which is not so great either. first i started waking up really early from anxiety and than could not fall asleep, few days ago he gave elavil 10 to take before bad, but my day anxiety was still there.

This oxazapam 30 mg 3 times a day does not seem to really work, so he told me to take an additional one at 6 pm. At this point I dont know what to do anymore. I also go to psycotherapy, but only once every other week, since this doc works in my borough only once a week, and really booked, but i like her. this in a nutshell is my long battle with my anxiety

Thanks for that excellent explanation. What kind of psychotherapy are you having?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At our session we work on analyzing my anxiety, mostly through talk. Trying to find alternative ways to deal with life situations. It seems that i m very insecure, feel guilty and afraid of situations. I always feel like im not good enough, constant what if this or what if that. At some sessions we do relaxations by listening to classical music like Mozart or Bach. I know that anxieties dont come out of no where, but it seems like I'm getting them all of a sudden.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've also tried yoga last year for about 8 months, but found no relief. this spring joined gym took some zoomba and piloxing classes, really enjoyed them, but stopped going when the crisis hit again. It just so hard to do things, but i still go to work and take care of my family.

I am inclined to suggest that you move on to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

It is more solution oriented than analytical, and to be frank, I think that is what you need – you can listen to classical music at home for free.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also causes the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

Also, there is a book called ”Feeling good - the new mood therapy” by Dr. David Burns. It has a hand book which gives you practical exercises to work through and further instructions on how to better use CBT. I really do recommend it.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies By Rhena Branch, Rob Willson is also pretty good.

I think you are really working hard at this, so give the Pristiq another few weeks, and consider CBT.